Table Saw Extension Wings

Hi all,

I've owned a Craftsman 10" Table Saw (model 315.228310) for several years now, and I'm getting serious enough about my woodworking to want to "fix" it. I've read many of the threads on this newsgroup, and yes, I'd love to have a high-end saw like the Delta Unisaw, but cost and space are limiting factors.

I would like to replace the stamped steel extension wings with cast iron web wings. The problem I have with the stamped steel wings is they are not flat, but bow up in the middle, making it impossible to level them.

A similar Craftsman saw (model 315.228410) came with the cast iron web wings, and I could order those parts from Sears, but I'm not sure they would fit. Does anyone know if they would? Or is there another supplier of the cast iron wings that would fit my saw?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

First major expense in the fence. Then blade. As for table extensions, that's a good one. Maby you ought to look at a Delta Contractor's saw. Also look at used machinery, Many of us are getting old, having strokes , whatever and having to sell our machines even though there is nothing wrong with it. Saw an ad last night of the August Home sell page and man making mugs was selling out his stuff in Michigan.

Reply to
Ramsey

Consider this... Several years ago I owned and used a Craftsman TS with cast iron top and the steel extensions. I decided to up grade the fence and bought Jet's version of the Beis style fence. This required a smooth and flat right extension table for the rear of the fence to rest on, just like the Beis.

Any way I built an extension table for both sides of the TS table out of Oak for the frame, MDF for the table and plastic laminate for the cover over the MDF. This along with the new fence added considerable weight to the saw and the vibration seemed much less.

So if you think you might some day upgrade your fence, and if you are still using the original you should, you may want to put the money for those iron table extensions into a better fence and your own home made table extensions.

Reply to
Leon

That's good advice. You could even build a router table into one extension wing - I did.

OTOH, if you do go for the cast iron, try to find solid ones instead of the open waffle. You can't pinch a finger on the solid ones :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I inquired about this not too long ago (large Sears store) and was told that if my extension tables were mounted using 4 bolt holes that the newer cast iron extensions would work on my older saw. Rob Mills ~ PS, Sears has a satisfaction or money back warranty

Reply to
J Rob

Do you have any pics or plans for the router table you built into the extension wing? Been wanting to do this for a while, and a nice pic or plans would really get me off my keister! thanks.

Mike Rinken

Reply to
Creamy Goodness

No I don't, but there wasn't much to it. I made a torsion box with a 12" square cutout in the middle and 2x2s around the outside edge and around the cutout. I used 1x2s for the web.

I drilled one edge to match the holes in my saw table and did semicircular cutouts on the bottom skin to access those bolts. I also fastened the table to my rip fence front and back with lag bolts into the

2x2s so it had even less chance to sag - I believe in the Soviet school of engineering :-).

The only other thing was to put some adjustable supports for the router plate inside the cutout. I used 1x1s with oversized screw holes.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
Jim K

Cool. I'll give it a go. Thanks Larry.

Reply to
Mike Rinken

best of both worlds... woodcraft sells a cast iron extension machined to accept a router insert

Mel

Reply to
mel