Survey: Internet Connection

Page 5 of 5

I pay 30 bucks a year or so to spamcop.net, and they block 98-99% of the spam sent to me. If I ran Windows, I'd buy zaep (zaep.com) which does a one time authorization of senders - unless a friend turns into a spammer, you'll get exactly no spam.
Dave Hinz
Greg wrote:

Nope. I have my own domain name, and create my own mailbox accounts on that domain. There is a filtering option at the server level, but I have it turned off.
The only account I occasionally get spam is a mailbox named "sales", and I would imagine that the email bots just see the domain name and send to commonly named mailbox account. Even then I just get 4 or 5 a YEAR.
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:54:59 GMT, "Jeff P."

Thanks for asking!
While I have a second line just for the computer, it's POTS and I'm out in the country. I have two computers with 56K modems, desktop and laptop. Desktop now has external hardware modem. Connects at 28.8K. Same for the laptop.
To damn many website designers figure that everyone has a personal T1 line and design their site accordingly. They also assume that everyone uses IE too. (I also have friends who like to forward "funny" email with 2-megabyte file attachments. Mailwasher takes care of those for me.)
For example, I wanted to shop Ford trucks. Ford's website wants me to have Flash installed. (After hearing about the recent recall of Ford trucks, I think that they installed "flash" under the hoods of their trucks too.)
I emailed Ford and informed them that the percentage of the population that is still on dialup was a lot higher than the percentage of the population who drive Fords and if they wanted to improve that, they had best fire their web designers and start over. I got an email back, thanking me for my *email* and asking me to take a customer survey about my experience. I said, what the hell and opened the survey. The questions all related to my *telephone* call to customer service. I'm sticking with my '98 Chevy.
Another example: I have an IRA at Schwab. They are constantly bugging me to turn off paper statements and get them via the web. But if I want a transaction history, I have to wait for an HTML table to be generated. Then I can't get the underlying data so I have to print it and this requires another wait while that is formatted. And I still have a piece of paper, only it cost me to print it. I don't have any money on deposit at Yahoo finance, but they give lots of info in downloadable spreadsheet format for free. I use Firefox for a browser. Some "features" at Schwab don't work correctly. When I call their tech support they say, "Oh, you need to use IE." The customer is always wrong.
From my perspective, give me your thoughts in text. If you need pictures or graphics to make your case, put 'em in thumbnail form and I'll look at them if necessary. My wife keeps my cookie jar full, I don't need any from you, thanks anyway. I like to install my own software as needed and I make my own coffee. Keep your Java to yourself. Photographs need to be framed sometimes, but I don't need them on my CRT. If you have numbers for me, give 'em to me in a downloadable .csv file. If your document requires precise formatting, better do it in .pdf that will survive different browser idiosyncrasies.
Just my humble opinion.
A good web designer will allow you to skip heavy graphic AVIs and test the site using Netscape, Opera, and Mozilla. Even better yet, the designer can detect the connection speed, browser, and O/S and take you to the page that will properly load in a reasonable time. The Toyota web site sucked when all I wanted to get were dimensions and towing capacity of their vehicles. The truth is that Americans buy vehicles based on appearance more than anything else. And those web site that play songs are irritating.

That is what a *mediocre* web designer will do. Admittedly, that *is* a step above what a "M$ brainwashed" one does.
A _good_ designer *knows* that there are _standards_ -- which describe a base set of capabilities that =all= web-browsers support; writes _to_ those standards, *and* employs a 'validator' to TEST FOR COMPLIANCE with those aforementioned standards.
A good designer also checks site functionality using a browser like "LYNX", which runs on text-only dumb terminals, doesn't attempt graphics in any form, and doesn't do Java, Javascript, Flash, or any of the rest of that cr*p.
A good designer may _use_ those 'flash & sizzle' whiz-bang gadgets, but he will also ensure that the site is 100% functional _without_ any of them.
*GOOD* web designers are _very_ scarce!
Make that very, Very, *V*E*R*Y* scarce.
Unfortunately.

FALSE! Utterly, and totally.
1) Connection speed is _not_ available. Even if it were, it wouldn't mean diddly-squat -- except in the case of a dial-up connection. The 'limiting' factor in Internet transmissions is the 'smallest pipe' _anywhere_ between source and destination. Even for home users -- and especially those with a broadband connection -- the connection out of the "PC" is at _Ethernet_ (or 'fast Ethernet) speeds, i.e. 10mbit/sec (or 100mbit/sec). *BUT* this poor victim is connected via an ISDL circuit, configured for PPPOE, and he's got a maximum _effective_ throughput of only about 115kbit/sec. *GUESS*WHAT*HAPPENS* if the server-side "assumes" he's on a fat pipe, and throws the 'graphics intensive' version at him.
*EXCEPT* in the case of a direct dial-up connection, the connection speed out of the desktop machine is _rarely_ (*VERY* rarely) the 'limiting factor' on data transfer rates.
2) 'browser' and 'O/S' are: (a) _optional_ data, not necessarily supplied (b) *when* supplied, the data are 'whatever the requestor _chooses_      to report', which may, or may *not* have any relationship to      reality. (c) *MEANINGLESS*, if the page "designer" is not aware of the      'oddities' of _that_ particular browser implementation. Or has      not taken the time/effort to code up handling for that _specific_      set of weirdness. There are more browsers, *and* operating      systems, out there than anyone can be reasonably expected to:      [i] keep track of, [ii] keep current on the vagaries of, or      [iii] program for. So *what* do you do, when the 'claimed'      browser does _not_ match one you 'know about'? Tell the user to      'go away', and come back only if he has a 'compatible' browser?      Put up a 'standard' page that works with _any_ browser? (H*ll, if      you have _that_, why bother with the 'browser specific' variants?)
Again, this is the "M$-brainwashed" approach to the issue. Write it the first time, using the vendor-specific (aka 'proprietary') extensions. Then, to make it work for 'most' of the "rest of the world", try to figure out if it is the MS browser, or 'something else', and for each _recognized_ "something else", code up "yet another" set of vendor-specific (aka 'proprietary') garbage that works only for _that_ browser. And if you _don't_ recognize what the potential customer is using for a web browser, tell them to 'go away' -- after all, you don't need that 'fringe' business.
Alternatively, you write _to_the_standards_, *verify* standards compliance, double-check with several commonly available browsers (because they _are_ known to ignore the standards in some cases), and have something that *everybody* can use.

Man, if only more web sites worked right on LYNX, the world would be a better place.
todd

Obviously a company has to decide what the ROI is on developing for every possible combo. I think it would be pretty ridiculous to test for a non graphics based platform when the OPs website is mainly pictures of his projects. I agree with Flash and Java issue, but not on JS.

We know how to do it, we just don't have the time to do it. I think if the OP hits 98% of the viewers out there, he'll be doing just fine. Here's some browser usage stats: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:54:59 GMT, "Jeff P."

I try to design both commercial and personal sites for the "lowest common denominator"... We tend to build stuff the way WE want to look at it.... high res, lots of flash and graphics, etc.... and the average guy can't or won't wait to get there before hitting the BACK button..
Apart from having a mirror site and diverting the broadband folks there, the best bet might be to build it "lean & mean" with a lot of links to graphics and stuff labeled "suggested for broadband only" or something like that..
If you've been on a dialup and had to wait for the graphics and flash opening page of a complex site, you know what I man.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:19:11 -0800, mac davis

Keep in mid that the Web is a three-dimensional medium. The third dimension isn't depth -- it is time.
Further remember that flash and graphics -- unless used wisely -- produce a lower-quality experience for the viewer. For example looping animations may look neat, but they're highly distracting because the pull the eye away from the information.
One of the problems with Web designers is that most of them are either re-tread graphic designer or (worse) video people, or they were trained by graphic and video designers. Even after all this time a lot of them still don't have their heads around the fact that the Web is a different medium with significantly different rules.
(Okay, I'll shut up now and go take my pill. But I feel much better. Thanks.)
DSL by PacBell/Yahoo.

The best available here is 26.4K
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com

DSL at home, wideband wireless at the office. Tom
Thomas Bunetta wrote:

Cable at home but I'm lucky to get 19K on dial up at work and I work for AT&... SB... one of the major phone companies.

Tom
Nova wrote:

Me too.
How you lookin' for post merger?
I'll probably be doing something else. <G>
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

I decided to hang on for a while longer and try and make there life as miserable as they've made mine the last... oh 20 years.
Nova wrote:

'Sounds like location changes, everything else doesn't. <G>
Barry