Suggestions for the finish for new work bench

I have moved up from a solid core door for a workbench.
I am almost finished a new solid maple workbench, with SYP base. I don't really care about the base since I will probably be replacing it once I come across a deal on some more maple.
I don't have "The Workbench Book" like it appears that everyone else has, and I am starting to think about a finish for the top.
What seems to be the favorite finish?
Gary Tyler, TX
I finished mine with two coats of watco, then hand-sanded to a rather dull look. I did this on purpose because I want my bench top to 1. not reflect too much light, and 2. have a non-slip surface to an extent. so far it has worked quite well. I was seriously considering leaving it plain wood, because it had so much more "tooth" to hold boards in place when planing against one stop, but this compromise worked out well, and protects the wood a bit.