sufficient size for island eating area

I have an island that has 2 levels - a "working area" at 36" and eating area at 42". Here is a picture of the island. The eating area is built around the two cabinets which make up the lower level working area.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2891735890092434605Bdfill
Question: Is a higher level working area width of 17" going to be enough for eating in comfort? I get 17" with a 12" overhand and a 5" wall (again, see picture)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's plenty.
www.topworks.ca
Robatoy wrote:

measure up the space you use at most meals , 17" deep is usually plenty.

One idea you may wish to consider is that the design does not have any sort of stop to keep things on the eating surface from sliding on to the working area. I would consider a short wall topped with a shelf, and the shelf on top to have a small lip for the same reason.
--

Roger Shoaf