Substitute for Red Devil lye?

Crap. I use it for cleaing/etching aluminum. Glad I still have about 4 cans in stock.

searches have yeilded nothing that is pure sodium hydroxide, and I'm reluctant to use anything that has "other stuff" in it.
You don't need pure "sodium hydroxide". In a pinch you can use Easy-Off oven cleaner or Drano. Both contain lye.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

In fact, for coloring cherry, you probably *do* need pure NaOH.

Yes, they do. They also contain various other substances whose presence may be undesirable. It's not wise to assume that they are interchangeable.
--
Regards,
http://www.chemistrystore.com/Sodium_Hydroxide.htm

searches have yeilded nothing that is pure sodium hydroxide, and I'm reluctant to use anything that has "other stuff" in it.
You don't need pure "sodium hydroxide". In a pinch you can use Easy-Off oven cleaner or Drano. Both contain lye.

You can buy sodium hydroxide at a chemical supply house. It is inexpensive and can be purchased as pellets or flakes. It is very caustic, will dissolve flesh, can cause blindness if you get it into your eyes, and hydrophilic. It mixes well with water. Wear protective clothing, rubber gloves, and keep out of reach of children.
You can get sodium hydroxide (NaOH) from supply houses. Just google for places like Flynn Scientific, Sergeant-Welch, or Fischer Scientific.
If you can research to find out what the ideal concentration is, it will probably be expressed as some 'molarity,' like a 5M solution. To mix these kinds of solutions accurately, for each unit of molarity, use 40 grams of NaOH with enough water to make one liter, (about a quart + 2 oz.). So for instance, a 4M solution would be 160 grams of NaOH with enough water to make one liter. For smaller or larger amounts, just ratio it down or up. Make you solutions in glass. DO NOT put this in contact with metal.
It will come as pellets. They must be kept under tight seal. They will pull moisture out of the air. If you look at them they will look dry, but if you were to rub a pellet between your fingers it will feel greasy. The grease is the fat in your own skin being dissolved.
Stray pellets must not be thrown in a garbage can. Just wash them down the sink. Drano is made mainly of NaOH.