Red Devil TSP vs. Tri-Sodium-Phosphate

I bought some Red Devil TSP/90 Heavy Duty Cleaner, and when I got home, I noticed it contained no phosphates.

Later I saw Tri-Sodium-Phosphate itself for sale.

They both had warnings about eyes and skin.

Which cleans better?

Especially, the soot on my walls from when my oil furnace wasn't working well.

Are there other reasons for using one or the other?

mm

No idea which cleans better -- I always used TSP and it always seemed to clean quite well. But your post got me wondering how close the Red Devil people are coming to false advertising when then call their cleaning product TSP anything. If their claim of no phosphates is true then it can't really be TSP. Some quick research shows that the product is actually sodium metasilicate but how that relates to tri-sodium phosphate is beyond me unless the fact that they both contain sodium means more in the world of advertising than it does in chemistry. But it really does have no phosphates FWIW.

Reply to
John McGaw

I ve always stuck to the real stuff. I use it to soak my hot tub filters and to get grease out of jeans

The fake stuff is "kinder" to the environment..no phosphates

Reply to
Rudy

Thanks to all.

Well, I use this stuff so little (so far not at all :) ) and the real tsp is not banned, that maybe I should stick with the strong stuff so I get done before I get tired out.

mm

I agree with you. TSP *mean* Tri-Sodium-Phosphate, just like TNT means Tri-Nitro-Toluene. At least when we're talking about a cleaner or an explosive.

If we were talking about singers maybe they would mean The Singing Peonies or The Nervous Trio.

mm