Red Devil

Has anyone used Red Devil filler and is it any goos for small holes where pics have been and the odd crack here and there please.

thanks Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Holes can be filled with any filler,however hairline cracks are a different kettle of fish as if they're foundation movent/human traffic movement over floors ect no matter how uch you fill them they'll reappear tie and time again.

Try squeezing a flexible sealant in the cracks and push it in with the finger and then wipe the excess off the wall/s so the paint will adhere later.

Reply to
George

i think its just where the plasterboard had been bumped and bashed George. I have been using Polyfiller but its useless, goes hard in the tub too fast and is expensive. The Dulux shop said Red Devil is good for this type of thing but its £15 so wondered if anyone here had used it.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

You would be better off buying some board finishing plaster, Sam.

This is about £4 for a 25kg bag and will last a good few weeks as long as it's kept dry and taped down.

It sands easily and you can achieve a much better finish than with fillers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi Sam, I have had a fond relationship with good old "jointing compound" from Wicks Pre-mixed in a fair sized tub for a reasonable price and doesn't tend to go off even if the tub is half empty and kept for a year of more.

Not much good for deep filling unless you build up the layers a bit at a time, but pretty good for most things, and designed for ... well, for spreading over the joints of "tapered edge" plasterboard, so can be sanded very thinly if required.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I have - its one of the new generation 'lightweight' fillers and probably the best one I have used - better than Wickes or Screwfix own label. Not specifically for hairline cracks, but excellent stuff.

£15? I don't think so!
£4.30 +VAT.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It is really excellent stuff - if properly applied doesn't need rubbing down (it really doesn't shrink, at least not like normal powder fillers) but it has a tendency to print through emulsion, so you might need to blind it first.

Reply to
teddysnips

It is really excellent stuff - if properly applied doesn't need rubbing down (it really doesn't shrink, at least not like normal powder fillers) but it has a tendency to print through emulsion, so you might need to blind it first.

The tubs on sale were 5 litres. Actually 4 but 1 litre was free.

When you say Blind it forst what is that and how is it done please.?

Thanks

Reply to
Samantha Booth

I have used this for some time and also find it excellent. I have noticed the print through that teddysnips refers to and am also interested to know what "blind it first" means?

Thanks, Jon...

Reply to
jon

I have used this filler today as I am not confident in mixing up plaster and its superb although I can see it so will wait with interest to see what blinding is

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Anyone????

Reply to
Samantha Booth

I would guess they mean, apply a coat of oil based paint before the emulsion. This prevents things showing through water based paints, although I can't quite see the connection here.

Reply to
stuart noble