Stuck Tooling / Collets

I'm re-posting this under a different header with the hopes that someone will have a definitive answer...> >>I am trying to remove a 1/4 bit from my router; I removed the collet nut

>>but the insert with the bit won't come out from the sleeve, it seems to be > >>stuck. Any suggestions ?

I read this with interest... What type of collet nut / system does this router use? The systems I sell ahve ER8,11,16,20 and 25 style collets and nuts. All except for teh "low profile" ER8 have collet nuts that pull the collet out when loostened via a "lip" inside the collet nut and a "ring" around teh top of teh collet itself. Are these useable on routers to avoid the problem going forward?

Check out the following URL for a picture of a collet nut like I describe:

are NOT the brand I use but their page shows the procedure for inserting the collet about 3/4 of the way down. If you look closely, you can see that the collet gets pulled out of teh spindle when teh nut is loostened.

We use them on multi spindle drill heads rather than routers, but I know they are used elsewhere too... Maybe you can get a nut to fit your spindle and not have to deal with this any longer?

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"

once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Reply to
Joe

My old Bosch 1611 does this all the time. I learned to loosen the collet nut enough that it is loose. Then I take the wrench and lightly tap "the nut" until the insert pops loose. Be careful not to hit the bit. The vibrations will set the bit free.

Reply to
Leon

That's what a bunch of people are suggesting. I'm just curious if a $25 collet nut and special colets that lock together and "pull" off would be possible on your and other's threads if justifiable cost wise...

Techniks sells 'em, if the thread puitch was the same, it should work.

Reply to
Joe

There"s a lot more involved than just a nut that fits. ft has to have the right taper to fit the collet. Probably not.

Reply to
CW

The toolless collets? I have heard that they take up a lot of room decreasing your depth travel and often vibrate too much.

Reply to
Leon

Not sure if these (toolless collets) are the same items we use as I'm not familiar with anything other than ER style... I doubt it though. Ours have a .001 runout at 4000 rpm in most cases... Plus, you need tools for ours. See them here and let me know if they are the same as what you are thinking:

shows the normal ER style nuts.

has low profile ones on adjustable heads for closer C-C distances... But not really close enough to see IMHO.

If the thread on these nuts is the same (and the angle is the same as someone else mentioned) then you could simply buy the nuts and collets to work together and never have a stuck tool or collet again. the only problem I see is the fact that you need to hold the spindle when removing any nut - but I think you probably have to do that with the current nuts, right?

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"

once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Reply to
Joe

Leon, he's talking about ER collets. They are great, I use them on milling machines all the time. The router has to be made for them, however, and I doubt that any model would fit.

Reply to
CW

Take a piece of wood and tap the bit straight down, this loosens the shaft of the bit. You can pull the bit out now with your fingers, don't cut yourself.This is a commom problem on PC laminate trimmers and some routers. mike

Reply to
mike