Strange adaptations

I imagine we all do it - adapt things to use in woodworking which have nothing to do with shopwork in any fashion to begin with.

Like when I go to Starbuck's I buy one coffee but grab about 20 of the long wooden stirrers. They are great for stirring almost anything like paint, stain, etc.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

And does anyone from Starbucks stop at your house and fill their sugar dispensers from your sugar supply?

Reply to
Frank Arthur

Bamboo chopsticks (recycled) from our local noodle place. Nearly everthing I make has pegged tenons in it. A steel dowel plate is useful for sizing them first.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You know, since I started woodworking, I've never lacked for paint stirring sticks.

Reply to
lwasserm

You can usually get them for free at the paint store. Believe me, You are paying for those sticks if you buy their coffee. Starbucks probably owes me a few thousand stir sticks. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

AP - 7/9/06

Starbuck announced today that they are raising the retail price of their coffee 27.3% to cover the sudden huge unexplained increase in stirrer consumption. The company hasn't been able to explain the sudden cost increase but did note that small piles of sawdust have been found in their stores. The sawdust is assumed to be the result of termite activity in the stirrer dispensers. To stem the problem they plan fumigate and irradiate the stirrers and dispensers. In tests fewer than 1% of customers complained of a strange aftertaste from the coffee so the fumigation will proceed company wide.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Anything except coffee. :-)

For the price of a Starbucks you could buy 20 lbs of stir sticks.

Reply to
Dhakala

Only time I've ever had Starbucks coffee, a client was buying. That's the only way I'd ever drink it too. Lousy stuff. People around here (Seattle) call me a traitor. No, I'm just one of the few that has any taste. Remember, this is the land of the deep fried Twinkie. Now that's bizarre.

Reply to
CW

The price here is the same (+/- 10 cents) as Dunkin' Donuts. In one location, Starbucks is cheaper than the nearest DD.

If you insist on buying those skinny decaf mocha lattes with an extra shot of espresso - yup. They can be expensive.

I like my coffee with milk, and when the plain Starbucks coffee is too strong for me, so I usually get a caffe au lait - 1/3 hot milk, half coffee - for 30 cents more than the regular coffee. They make up a "special" name for it to confuse you, but it's the same thing.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

foggytown wrote: [snip]

*SHUDDER*

A handful of Kenyan beans in my Cuisinart bur grinder. Boiled mineral water in the french press.

2 1/2 minutes.

Starbucks eat your frickin' heart out!

I'll BUY stirring sticks, okay?

Robatoy

To me coffee is coffee - period. As long as it hasn't been dripped through more than twice then it's fine with me because it's just something hot and wet. Now tea is a different matter!

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

I like to snack on those Jell-O fruit cups - they come in a six pack and I usually buy several at a time. The clean plastic cups are perfect for gluing. I generally pour a bit of glue in the cup and use a brush to coat the wood. Also use a second with some water to keep the brushes clean. All sorts of uses.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron