Stirling engine runs on coffee

Page 1 of 2
<http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astromedia.de % 2Fshop%2Fcsc_fullview.php%3FArtikelnummer%3D228.STM%26VID%3DqK6TlQZxaOfD DOSY&langpair%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools>
It's made of paper, which as JOAT will attest is made of wood...
Dave Balderstone wrote: | <http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astromedia.d e% | 2Fshop%2Fcsc_fullview.php%3FArtikelnummer%3D228.STM%26VID%3DqK6TlQZxaO fD | DOSY&langpair%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools> | | It's made of paper, which as JOAT will attest is made of wood...
I built a ~2hp version out of PVC drain pipe (mostly) - and it runs on sunshine. :-)
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Stirling/Dyne.html

Isn't PVC off-topic unless we're talking about static causing dust explosions?
<d&r>
Dave Balderstone wrote:
| Isn't PVC off-topic unless we're talking about static causing dust | explosions?
PVC is ok (note the copper connection between the hot head and the cold head) unless the working fluid is acetone, in which case all bets are off.
The explosion hazard is minimized by using AC (alternating chipflow) instead of DC (direct chipflow), and by not allowing (much) dust into the engine.
We've just discovered that brazed joinery needs a bit more care than we gave it. The hot side heat exchanger was losing pressure in 5 places!
Eventually it'll sit on an elegantly-crafted SPF mobile frame.
Well, if it's like any Stirling engine, it's the heat, not the coffee. Could be any hot water - tea - coco.
That's is some URL wrap. Will be VERY time consuming to figure that one up. How did you get there?
MJ Wallace
Ok, figured this out:
Start here:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cheaper-than-gas?view=full
Click on product link at bottom.
MJ Wallace
From boingboing.net
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If one enclosed a long URL in angle brackets,<x>, it won't get broken up.

Which I did. I assume that MJ Wallace's newsreader (Mozilla 5) doesn't follow standards.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I didn't look to see what happened, but it's possibly a usenet client which did follow nntp standard line length that did the wrapping...
Sat, Aug 11, 2007, 6:49pm (EDT-2) dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca (DaveBalderstone) doth sayeth thusly: <snip> It's made of paper, which as JOAT will attest is made of wood.
I am here to testify for you.
(Dave Balderstone) doth sayeth thusly: <snip> It's made of paper, which as JOAT will attest is made of wood.
I am here to testify for you.
Testified to or not, all paper is not made of wood. http://www.dickblick.com/zz104/38 / Kerry
Mon, Aug 13, 2007, 11:16am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@teleport.com (KerryMontgomery) wanders by and claims: Testified to or not, all paper is not made of wood. http://www.dickblick.com/zz104/38/ Kerry
Take it pretty much as a given, if someone just says paper here, it means paper made out of wood. I'm sure if Dave had meant rag paper, he'd have said rag paper. After all, he has a reputation to uphold, he's a "wood worker".
After all, there's a lot of different types of paper. There's fly paper, tissue paper, waste paper, art paper, blotting paper, cigarette paper, construction paper, toilet paper, etc., etc., etc.

That's "wooddorker", JOAT.

J T wrote:

Except for rice paper, papyrus, and superior bond (the stuff U.S. currency is printed on).
Mon, Aug 13, 2007, 1:34pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (HeyBub) stumbled in and mumbled: Except for rice paper, papyrus, and superior bond (the stuff U.S. currency is printed on).
If Dave had meant any of those, he'd have said. Papyrus ain't actually a paper, it's a leaf; and is probably where the word paper came from. And there's lots more types of paper: Straw paper, rag paper, linen paper, and so on, and on, and on. When someone here says "paper" you can pretty much take it as a given they mean paper made out of wood; you know, the stuff you buy at your local store, noting fancy.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in 3336.bay.webtv.net:

Not to get "pithy", but papyrus is not the leaf but rather from the stem (or the core or "pith" of the stem). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus But you're right, when speaking of uncommon (not wood-cellulose) paper, people usually specify the type of paper.
BTW:
Loved the translated German:
It is real for being astonished.
Kit from sturdy, punched cardboard in affectionately arranged gold pressure, completely with all accessories, under it laser-cut aluminum plates, friction-poor plastic axle bearings and wire bending hurry from spring steel.
--
How do you "affectionately arrange gold pressure"?

MJ Walalce
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
| How do you "affectionately arrange gold pressure"?
_Very_ carefully. :-D

Don't blame the translation too much. The "affection" is in the original ("liebevoll" literally = "full of love").
On the other hand, "Golddruck" should be translated as gilding or gilt edging. The machine translation also blew it with "Drahtbiegeteile" (bent-wire parts) by breaking the compound word in the wrong place, and seeing "eile" (haste, hurry) instead of "teile" (parts, components). Other than that, though, the translation is at least good enough to get the point across.
I would have translated this as
It is truly a marvel.
Kit from sturdy die-cut cardboard with lovingly arranged gilding, complete with all accessories, mounted on laser-cut aluminum plates, with low-friction plastic axle bearings and bent-wire components of spring steel.
Here's the German, if anyone wants to improve on that:
Es ist wirklich zum Staunen.
Bausatz aus stabilem, gestanztem Karton in liebevoll gestaltetem Golddruck, komplett mit allem Zubehr, darunter lasergeschnittene Aluminium-Bleche, reibungsarme Kunststoff-Achslager und Drahtbiegeteile aus Federstahl.
--
Regards,