Stirling engine runs on coffee

That's "wooddorker", JOAT.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

In my youth, I lived in Germany for a while. Laughing at the structure of the German language, as it contrasted with the English (?) learned as a California kid of the Sixties, was a common source of amusement.

Only for the differences. California English is almost as strange as the German.

Patriarch, German on two grandparents' lines...

Reply to
Patriarch

So how did I do on the translation? I'm assuming that means you know the language better than I.

Ever read Mark Twain's piece "The Awful German Language"? I think you'd enjoy it.

All four for me...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
Sam Soltan

Euros

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:4Oswi.57461$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

I thought the translation you offered was just fine. How the words came to be is part of the charm of the tradespersons' tongue.

And my German is 35 years from everyday use. Some rust doesn't respond to Boeshield.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Thanks -- I thought I had it pretty well, but I wasn't quite sure.

LOL!

Reply to
Doug Miller

The best German word I ever heard was Eisenbahnhinundherschiebershauschen (sorry, I believe there is an a-umlaut there somewhere - too lazy to look it up).

Meaning is "little house of the guy who moves the railroad switch".

Reply to
Han