Steve Knight - coffin smoother?

Anyone hear from Steve Knight, or know if he's still making planes? JP

Reply to
JayPique

His web site no longer exists. There are reference to his planes on Google, but nothing direct to him.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

From what I understand he quit making hand planes but did offer hand plane kits.

Reply to
Leon

Somewhere along the lines I found out he got a CNC router and was doing work with that... the planes had fallen by the way side.

Knight

Knight Toolworks

304 SE Main #3

Portland, OR 97214 To contact us: Phone: 503-421-6146

E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@cncrouting.biz

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Looking for a Knight coffin smoother? I have one in almost unused condition. Steve and I used to trade my website work for his planes way back when. I have a whole stable of his planes.

Wow, I just talked to him about 6 months ago and his site was up. It doesn't come up today. He had shifted into making plane kits rather than planes, and he was doing mostly CNC router work, signmaking, etc. (That's the direction I want to go.)

-- Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Probably could not sell enough planes at a high enough price to make a good living. Some of the CNC work he is doing looks quite nice. I hope he does well with it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No doubt that it was a tough gig making and selling wooden planes... I've got a pair of shoulder planes, left skew and right skew, that Steve made. The irons are very nice... take and hold an edge!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

We run into him in here once in a while.

Robatoy

Tried you at your addy minus the "invalid"... JP

Reply to
JayPique

Got it. I'll try to find the planes this weekend, get pics, and we'll go from there. My shop at the moment is 67 gallons o' chit in a 5 gallon bucket.

-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807

Reply to
Larry Jaques