Starting a furnituremaking business

Page 2 of 2
The last thing I would want my business practices compared to is a lawyer's. Most are percieved by the public as shysters. mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

you
it
immediate
other
Has
Mike Hide wrote:

Doesn't mean that the practice is not valid.

--
--John
Aww, c'mon, don't be bashing the lawyers, we ain't all that bad. Everybody hates lawyers until they get indicted, then they're your best friend.
That said, here's a lawyer joke:
What's the difference between a Lawyer and a Rooster?
A Rooster clucks defiance.
Mutt.

you
it
immediate
other
Has
My wife has an interesting saying , that being " you sleep with dogs and you are bound to get fleas" mjh
Mike Hide wrote:

I have a saying--if the customer won't buy at 50 bucks but will buy at 100 bucks then that's his problem.
mjh
--
--John

I wouldn't buy a $50 Record plane. I would buy a $99 Lie Nielsen plane.
Guess that's my problem.

My problem is that every once in a while, I forget, and waste $50 on a Record plane. And every time I pick up a quality tool, I think that it was a good investment.
Certain things are expenses. Certain things are investments. Not all returns on investments are measured in dollars.
A successful furniture maker will understand what his potential customer is seeking, and decide if he or she can deliver on that expectation.
I came to a realization in the data networking business about ten years ago. At least two thirds of the problems to be solved were, at their core, not technical problems. Many were problems of understanding what people needed, and could not clearly communicate.
A successful business person, in any endeavor, must be able to listen, and understand.
Patriarch
Brings to mind the BC three frame strip of several years ago two stick figure one lying down with head on large rock with other standing behind him, both facing right. A, the standing one, askes "Can you repair a frayed knot?" and B answers "Afraid not" to which A says "Yes". Wife and I use this frequently.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:24:47 GMT, patriarch

and
100
You don't need stupid customers

Could be, I have 5 Record planes and they seem to work for me .....mjh

absolutely.
no harm in offering extra features to a wealthy customer though..... at the appropriate price, of course.

you
all
other
To coin a phrase, absolutely. I have one well off local lady who I always offer a plain vanilla and a "gussied " up version of each design . She has yet to pick the vanilla version ...........mjh

Better and more diligent communication would help, for a start.... ***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.