Stainless Steel sink Polish?

whatcha use to polish a stainless steel sink?

Regards Lewis

Reply to
Lewis Dodd

My wife and I use Barkeepers Friend. This is a very mild powder abrasive that cleans just about anything without damaging it. We started to use it on our All Clad Stainless Steel cookware and now on our stainless steel sink, tea kettle, countertops, stovetop, etc. The stuff is great and only costs a couple of dollars at the grocery store or my employer Bed Bath & Beyond. Also there is a product called Stainless Steel Magic that is a liquid in a spray bottle that works very well.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce E. Harang II

We use the Citrus Orange hand cleaner that is purchased at the auto parts store. Shines the SS sink and leaves a nice citrus smell.

Reply to
Wilson

"Stainless Steel Polish"

Nope, I"m not being factious.

That's the name of the product.

Made by "The Hope Company", Bridgeton Mo.

It does say "Not recommended for mirror surfaces, use Hope's Brass Polish"

Most brass cleaner/polish compounds -- e.g. Brasso, Noxon -- say that they work for Stainless, too.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I second that. It also takes kool-aid and jello stains out of formica. Great stuff. Use only as much water as it takes to keep the rag moving and the heebie-jeebies away.

Reply to
Jay

welcome to rec.askanythingyouwant

What the hell has that got to do with woodworking? Go to alt.homes.wives.chores

Reply to
Bob S.

how rude.

Reply to
Wilson

You're right...that was the wrong ng. It should have been >>>>

Reply to
Bob S.

BarKeeper's Friend and Zud, a similar product, both contain oxalic acid which will do wonders in removing stains, especially iron & tannin stains.

Oxalic acid eats rust as well as being an oxidizing agent for attacking other stains.

It can be used to remove black stains on wood due to wet nails, wet tin cans, etc.

Both products are great for removing iron stains from porcelain too.

Every shop should have a can.

Reply to
dave martin

Well, you are right, it was the wrong newsgroup and I should have couched it. Being a general contractor, one of my employees spilled some muratic acid in the sink just before the final walk through on the house. Not being a "house wife" or a professional cleaner, I just took a shot. Needless to say, I am a bit aggravated at the employee using the sink in a $450k house just before I get my check!

My apologies to the group, I will promise to be better and more careful of posts in the future. I still may be "buying a sink" ! Anybody interested in a stained stainless Steel sink "never" used?

Regards Lewis

Reply to
Lewis Dodd

Why ? What's wrong with it ?

Scratches - Garryflex block, in a range of grits (rubber block with embedded grit - severa similar brands). Finish with 3M "scouring pad" abrasive in grey if you want it shiny, stop at the medium Garryflex for a brushed finish.

There's no point in using liquid or cream polishes. These are expensive and either ineffective or excessive. Solvol, a well known chrome polish is a fine abrasive polish - it has to be, because it works on pure chrome plate ! Stainless is much softer and so almost any polish works - stick with the bulk solid abrasives, they work much quicker.

Oily grimy muck - clean the greasy nastiness off with caustic soda (wear gloves). Then rinse well and only then use an oxalic acid powder cleaner like Barkeeper's Fiend.

Rust stains - either technique. Oxalic acid isn't a bad de-ruster for light stuff.

If it's cheap stainless, re-passivate it after any mechanical cleaning and before there's any chance for "kitchen stains" to re-appear. Clean it, degrease it, then apply an acid passivation solution. Citric acid is good, and it's cheap too. Make sure it's relatively pure, so use a food-grade (homebrew shop), because chlorides and other salts may actually discolour it. 5% solution by weight is reasonable.

If it's small machined parts, or you're doing this for mechanical anti-cracking reasons, then read this good site on the subject:

Gotterspammerung - Junkmail of the Gods

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Just put OT (for off topic) at the beginning of the subject line, and all will be well.

Stephen R.

Reply to
Stephen R

Lewis,

I'll apologize for my comments - that was rude of me as one stated. But if you'll take a look, we are getting more and more posts that have nothing to do with woodworking - directly. I hope you will stick around and that my bad hair day was just that.

Welcome to the wRECk and if I knew how to cure your stained sink, I would gladly tell you. I don't but it sure looks like Andy has a handle on it.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.