Staining Red Oak plywood

Can anyone share their experiences on staining the 3/4" ROak ply avail at HD?

Have any techniques given better results than others?

Brush on & wipe off or just wipe on?

ThankX, Ron

Reply to
Ron Angel

Red Oak from HD or Lowe's finishes just like anyone else's (It is just a LOT more expensive.). I have had good luck with MinWax products as well as others. Main thing is thorough sanding and preparation. Sand to at least

220 and 400 is better. If you want a super slick finish sand to 400 then burnish with 600 or a piece of brown paper bag. Wipe on poly provides an easy and attractive finish.

If you are buying much oak, find a local mill or hardwood dealer. If you convert the borg's liner foot prices to board foot pricing, they are obscene - up to $7-8/bd ft. Hardwood shops and mills in our area sell red oak for $2.89 to $4.20 bd ft (premium). It is even cheaper 150 miles east of here in Missouri or Arkansas.

Reply to
RonB

Ummm, that would be Red Oak "PLYWOOD" that he is asking about.

Reply to
Leon

Regardless of where you buy it, the better the quality stain you get the better results. Personally I finish sand with 180 grit and never go any farther. As for the actual stain you should always wipe it off after applying. I perfer Bartleys gel stains and General Finishes stains. Wipe them on and before they get too dry, wipe them off.

Reply to
Leon

Well Hell Yes!

Must be bedtime - see you in the morning.

Reply to
RonB

By the way - you didn't sense any personal opinion regarding Borg hardwood pricing - did you?

Reply to
RonB

I agree, on red oak 180 usually works well. My tops go to 220 but then you run into a bit of trouble with two different absorption rates of stain. FWIW when I use Minwax stain (their regular stain) I spray on and don't wipe off.

Reply to
Rumpty

rough spots as I like the rough raised grain. I also used wipe on poly on the two projects I made, sanding lightly after each of the first two coats, and I like the looks of that. Just my preferences, others will vary(that sounds familiar). Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Reply to
Paul O.

shhhhh. went right by me... mebbe no one will notice... :)

Reply to
patrick conroy