Staining Red Oak plywood

Can anyone share their experiences on staining the 3/4" ROak ply avail at HD?
Have any techniques given better results than others?
Brush on & wipe off or just wipe on?
ThankX, Ron
Red Oak from HD or Lowe's finishes just like anyone else's (It is just a LOT more expensive.). I have had good luck with MinWax products as well as others. Main thing is thorough sanding and preparation. Sand to at least 220 and 400 is better. If you want a super slick finish sand to 400 then burnish with 600 or a piece of brown paper bag. Wipe on poly provides an easy and attractive finish.
If you are buying much oak, find a local mill or hardwood dealer. If you convert the borg's liner foot prices to board foot pricing, they are obscene - up to $7-8/bd ft. Hardwood shops and mills in our area sell red oak for $2.89 to $4.20 bd ft (premium). It is even cheaper 150 miles east of here in Missouri or Arkansas.

Ummm, that would be Red Oak "PLYWOOD" that he is asking about.
Well Hell Yes!
Must be bedtime - see you in the morning.

By the way - you didn't sense any personal opinion regarding Borg hardwood pricing - did you?

shhhhh. went right by me... mebbe no one will notice... :)
Regardless of where you buy it, the better the quality stain you get the better results. Personally I finish sand with 180 grit and never go any farther. As for the actual stain you should always wipe it off after applying. I perfer Bartleys gel stains and General Finishes stains. Wipe them on and before they get too dry, wipe them off.

I agree, on red oak 180 usually works well. My tops go to 220 but then you run into a bit of trouble with two different absorption rates of stain. FWIW when I use Minwax stain (their regular stain) I spray on and don't wipe off.
--
Rumpty

rough spots as I like the rough raised grain. I also used wipe on poly on the two projects I made, sanding lightly after each of the first two coats, and I like the looks of that. Just my preferences, others will vary(that sounds familiar). Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com