Spraying Benjamin More Regal Paint

I am about to do the trim work on my new home. We have decided on Benjamin Moore Regal Latex primer and paint. I have experimented with it on a few pieces using a brush. Works well and looks great. However, I need to do a lot of pieces and want to use my HVLP conversion spray gun. I have sprayed waterborne lacquer with no problems. However, this paint is very thick. The retailer suggested Floetrol. I tried it and the Floetrol does not change my viscosity cup readings - even at 1 qt/gallon of paint.

Benjamin Moore says to use their "518 Extender" product. However, their literature only mentions airless sprayers.

Has anybody out there been successful with this product (paint and thinner) using an HVLP gun?? Any suggestions on technique etc...

Thanks, Len

Reply to
l-lopez

May I suggest to nix the latex paint for trim. You will probably be much much happier if you use an alkid oil based paint for the trim. It yields a harder more scuff resistant finish. And if you put it on with a brush you will probably only have to use one coat.

Reply to
Leon

I painted the trim on my house using an HVLP sprayer and Lowe's Valspar Duramax paint. Very thick paint. I thinned it with a product from Wagner (mfg of airless sprayers) called Paint Easy. "It thins without diluting".

Max

Reply to
Max

: May I suggest to nix the latex paint for trim. You will probably be much : much happier if you use an alkid oil based paint for the trim. It yields a : harder more scuff resistant finish. And if you put it on with a brush you : will probably only have to use one coat.

Ditto that. In fact, Benjamin Moore Impervo should be THE alkyd enamel of choice. That you can spray in your HVLP.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston