Spray Gun

After buying a Duralast 2 gun set (from Autozone), the instructions state t he guns are to be used for oil based paints, not thin applications, so I se arched again. Another thing I discovered, didn't like about these guns, th e lid of the tank just laid in place, it didn't screw on, hence, if I wante d to lay the gun down, between sprayings, I'd need to empty the tank. *I'l l return the Duralast guns.
I found this review: http://www.paintspraypro.com/best-spray-gun-for-lacqu er/
Don't know how reliable these reviewers are, but the Kawasaki gun ($30) app ears to be a reasonable choice, for the low price, despite it being a sipho n feed. I had initially thought, maybe, a gravity feed might be an upgrad e to my previous (limited) spraying experience.
If this gun lasts a year, then it should be worth the little investment, bu t I think it'll serve my needs for longer than that.
I hope the local Walmart has the gun in stock. I want to spray a rustic cypress bench, today, so I may have a follow-up review. I'll be spraying water based Varathane, on the bench. I brushed on the first coat. This bench will go with the cypress trestle table, I made recently. I have som e chairs, in mind, to build, also. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?
For any hobbyist/DIYers, who may have considered purchasing (minimal) spray ing equipment (upgrading? from their previous brushing or wiping on a finis h), maybe my pending review may help them decide, without having to invest in more expensive equipment, for good results. I recall, long ago, when I first thought to start spraying, I was intimidated about spraying. I dis covered it's easier and have better results (vs brushing/wiping), than I th ought, so maybe my review will help someone, else, decide to try spraying.. .. seeing as how the investment can be somewhat minimal, these days.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

I would not worry about the siphon feed Sonny. I have several siphon guns that are over 35 years old and still shoot like new. As is the case with any paint gun, you'll rebuild the gun from time to time over the years and the availability of rebuild kits could be a consideration, but as you say, if you get 5 years out of it before it needs a rebuild, you'll be just as well off to simply buy a new gun. Rebuild kits can get pretty pricey.
I do 90% of my shooting these days with gravity feed HVLP and I like the feel and mobility of gravity feed, but it does not bother me one bit to load up one of my siphon guns for a particular need.
The most important thing with any gun, but especially with siphon guns, is keeping them clean. No short cuts. After every single use, run a cleaning brush up the pickup tube. Don't trust just filling the cup with thinner and hoping that it will clean out the tube. Some materials will clean out very well that way, but other materials like urethane primers, will not. And - keep the air vent perfectly clean. Siphon really relies on that air vent. My guns have a little less shine than they did when they were new, and some stains on the cups from before I bought them, but otherwise every one of my guns is in like new condition in the working areas. I've learned the things I mention here the hard way!
I even have a couple of HF gravity guns that I keep on hand for primers and they work perfectly. $9 each when they run their sales. I can lay down a factory finish with these guns. The only problem is - I typically get maybe four or five uses out of them before they die. Seals deteriorate, etc. and there are no rebuild kits for them. So, when they go on sale I buy one or two and just throw them on the shelf.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:17:00 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:

Yeah, I think you may have advise me, before. I ran a lot of errands this morning..... Walmart didn't have the Kawasaki gun, Lowes was no help, She rwin Williams had high-end guns, so I went to HF and got a $15 gravity feed gun. I just got home and rain is threatening.... I spray outdoors. Kin na feels like a wasted day, so for, but...
Went by Mom's, also, to pick up more (specific) cypress lumber, for the cha irs build. At least the lumber didn't/won't get rained on, so all efforts aren't lost, after all.
My old guns need repair, I think, and parts are no longer available. I di dn't search for rebuild kits, though. I think I've cleaned them, well, but they aren't shooting as they once did. They are, at least, 30 yrs old, s o it's time to get new ones, I suppose.
I'm anxious to try this gravity feed gun!
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

The $15.00 gun is the same one I get for $9.00 on sale. Limited use gun, but it works well until it doesn't...

--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
For any hobbyist/DIYers, who may have considered purchasing (minimal) spraying equipment (upgrading? from their previous brushing or wiping on a finish), maybe my pending review may help them decide, without having to invest in more expensive equipment, for good results. I recall, long ago, when I first thought to start spraying, I was intimidated about spraying. I discovered it's easier and have better results (vs brushing/wiping), than I thought, so maybe my review will help someone, else, decide to try spraying.... seeing as how the investment can be somewhat minimal, these days.
The guns are pretty cheap, the compressors not so much so :)