Shop Vac Switch not working.

The switch in my shop vac is a DPST switch, when I test it with a continuity tester only one side is making a connection. I don't know a lot about switches but i am assuming both sides should have a connection?

Secondly, just because i'm curious - why don't they just use a SPST switch?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Reply to
dave

They could have, but they may have been trying to make it "safe," While you might have to modify the mounting, you can replace the switch with any switch that will carry the load.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Well, if you're measuring the right contacts, yes... :)

Are both pairs of contacts in use?

Presuming it's a 120V vac and not 240V, then there's only real reason to switch the hot leg; excepting, of course, if it doesn't have a polarized plug, either wire could be the hot one...so, they switch 'em both would be my best guess w/o further details.

Reply to
dpb

On 08/26/2016 3:55 PM, Artemus wrote: ...

Sure, interrupting either leg is functional; just not as safe as both...as noted, unless it's a polarized plug, it's 50-50 as to which will be the "hot" side any given time...

Reply to
dpb

My shop vac is 120V and it's switch died about 10 yrs ago. I replaced it with a standard wall switch and it's still going strong.

Art

Reply to
Artemus

On 08/27/2016 10:45 PM, Artemus wrote: ...

The posting to which you responded was answering the OP's original question of "why use a 2-pole instead of single-pole switch"?

Yes, granted, it only takes breaking one connection to make the switch work; one _presumes_ there was a reason the original manufacturer of the vac the OP has used the 2P; the likely reason for that is it uses a nonpolarized plug.

Reply to
dpb

My post was an example of a real world fix which could actually help the OP. Not the drivel of another Safety Nazi. The original switch was SPST and I replaced it with an SPST using the original wiring. The plug is a 3 prong one. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Could it be for the 220V versions also?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Possibly, OP didn't ever provide the additional info...

Reply to
dpb

Isn't it a pain to carry the wall around with you when you need to use the shop vac?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you decide to stop struggling with moving the wall with the switch to where you are using the vacuum, you may be interested in this suggestion.

The switch is for my Shop Vac QPS10. I found the manual by searching for Shop Vac schematics and manual

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor Mouser #: 540-LRA32H2FBBNN Mfr. #: LRA32H2FBBNN Desc.: Rocker Switches & Paddle Switches DPST BLK 10A QC TERM RoHS: RoHS Compliant

It cost me about $10 to get two switches (One to install and a spare) About a $1 a piece for the switch and $8 shipping and handling.

It snaps into the vacuum, but when I got it in, I realized I had it backwards, from the markings on the sweeper.

So; on my vacuum if it is off, you do the logical and push OFF to turn it on, It it is off you push On to turn it off. I keep explaining to my grandson, why would you push on when it is obvious the vacuum is off.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

A reversed switch on a wet-dry vac might not be anything more than confusing, but I sure wouldn't leave it that way on a router or any other tool that could hurt your grandson.

Why didn't you switch it back once you realized it was backward? Just curious...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

you have not said if the switch is working or not

if it is not working why not dismantle the switch and inspect it

if it is working then

Reply to
Electric Comet

I would never leave it that way if there was a safety consideration.

While I said it just snapped in, It took a lot of fiddling to get the wires and switch positioned correctly so the switch "Easily" snapped in.

In other words since there was no safety concerns I was to lazy to spend another 5 minutes getting the switch out plus another 15 to 20 minutes getting wires and switch positioned so I could "easily" pop it back in.

I also considered the possibility of damaging the switch or the housing getting it out to re position it. (The old switch failed because it was in pieces.)

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Did you happen to notice the subject line of this thread?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Put the hot wires on the working side of the switch. Put the neutral wires together with a wire nut. Clean up the shop.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Eliminate the switch and use a remote.

I have a mini shop vac in the cabinet under my miter saw. The remote is velcro'd to the saw. The hose comes though the side of the cabinet and attaches to the saw's dust port. I also have an extra hose that I use to extend the shop vac hose for quick cleanup of the work bench, drill press, etc. The extension hose also reaches the dust port on my band saw.

I got the vac for $10 on Craigslist. It sure does help to keep shop cleaner.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I glued a magnet to a remote for my DC and keep it stuck to the side of my Unisaur table.

krw

DOH!

Reply to
Meanie