Spindle Sanders?

Page 2 of 3

Makes a serviceable thickness sander for up to 4" stock, too. The big drum's handy then.
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:01:43 -0500, "Gary E"

They've got to be made by the same company. i know wilton is part of the same company as Jet. Same price as the griz, but qualifies for free shipping which the griz doesn't. I think I got most of my spindles from rockler, except for the 1/2" which I think I got from grizzly. As others have noted, it's a standard size so you can shop around. The only sizes I use are 1/2",1", and 2". I don't really see the point in stocking the in between sizes. The spindles do last a really long time.
The table is melamine, there is a plastic ring that the metal inserts sit in. Once I got everything shimmed level it hasn't really been an issue, and I don't see any wear on the table. I do once in a while get a workpiece that is just the right size to get caught on the edge of the ring. I will probably end up taking a couple pieces of 1/4" baltic birch, laminate them and drill a 2" hole in one and a 1" in the other and just have it drop over the whole table so it's a completely smooth surface, but it hasn't been enough of an issue to get around to it, and I do use it a lot.

Yeah. When you tighten the nut down the washers make the rubber drum expand a little at the top and bottom and that keeps the sleeve from coming off. I just couldn't make that happen with the 3" drum. If I used a ratchet instead of the little wrench maybe I could do it. For the type of work I do it wasn't worth exploring, the 2" works for me. If you anticipate using the 3" a lot i think you're better off with a larger machine anyway. I didn't like the way Jet sells the 3" as an expensive accessory.
-Leuf

Thanks, you have been extremely helpful. If you are ever in Asheville, I'll buy you a beer!
Gary
I found that FWW article #188. They gave the Rigid EB 4424 their "Best Overall" and their "Best Value" awards.
It was the only model that converted into a belt sander.
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Thanks for the link, good review. Though I already have a belt sander, the fact that this converts, really adds to it's function. The only negative I saw on a review was that most of the housing was plastic. It looks like I will be looking seriously at this sander.
Gary
I like mine. Does everything I need. That's the trick, you know. Decide what you need to do and then, buy the tool that does it. Now, if I could just convince myself that I don't need to do more! Gene

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:39:29 -0500, "Gary E"

Fine Woodworking recently did a review. If you're interested, email me direct and I'll give you specifics.

Traditionally I used a small drum on my RAS (okay), I tried a set that fits on my drill press (lousy) but recently bought a Harbor Freight osculating version.....cast table, nice fit and finish, runs smooth and quiet enough, good dust collection (with a vac attached)assortment of sizes and does exactly what I'd expect......mine between a coupon and sales price cost around $70 regular price I'd expect is around $100...... No tilt but I'd expect a home built slanted table would work......Rod
I had the Delta B.O.S.S and really liked it. The only concern was in a little over a year only found the need for it twice . Sold it on Craig's list and reverted back to the drill press spindle sander attachment. Never looked back!
Bill

I have the Delta BOSS.
I can't understand why they did not integrate a spindle lock for changing the drums.
Whenever I use this tool I wonder "what were they thinking?"
No spindle lock means that it is not only tough to change drums but you can't torque down the drum and compress it so that the sleeve does not slip.
It's otherwise solid smooth and quiet. Sadly I can not reccomend it.
-Steve

Learn to use the wrenches. They give you twice the leverage with one hand. Having used tools with spindle locks and those that require 2 wrenches, I much prefer the 2 wrench tools.

Leverage
Use a wrench to hold the spindle or drum.
OOps, I am not real familiar with this sander. I don't know if you use 2 wrenches to remove the spindles or not.
There is one wrench and no place to put a second one (that I have found) .
Part of my reason for posting is this hope that someone will say "You idiot, you just need to stick the burfl in the whozzit".
-Steve

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:34:38 -0500, "Stephen M"

On my Wilton there is a rectangular spot at the top of the shaft for the second wrench. There's hardly enough to get the wrench on though and I never do it that way. I just grab the drum with the other hand. I can't get the 3" drum tight enough, but the rest are no problem.
-Leuf
"Leon" wrote in message

On my older BOSS, you only need one wrench to change the spindles.
There is absolutely NO need for a spindle lock on this tool as the tension on the spindle to attach it, as well as to expand it to keep the paper from slipping, is adjusted with the single wrench on top, and one hand holding the spindle, and not much torque is needed.
There must be something wrong with one that does, or else Delta has "upgraded" the product, breaking it in the process ... a not unlikely scenario considering their recent history.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

My sander cautions not to over tighten the spindle as the spin direction tightens the spindle.
"Leon" wrote in message

Same with the BOSS ... the nut is reverse threaded.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
"Leon" wrote in message news:

Despite having to keep up with two wrenches, I've never understood the mania for spindle locks on routers either. It takes two hands to tighten/untighten spindle lock equipped routers, a task much easier and more quickly done with two wrenches in one hand.
Considering the number of folks who haven't figured that out, a "how to" should probably be in the product manual.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

I prefer spindle lock routers, especially my table-mounted DW 621.
-- Mark