Planer Sled Mod

I've been wanting to make another planer sled, this one about 3' or maybe a bit longer. But been inlved in other things,son haven't eben gotten started on the new one yet. So, I've been thinking of something new. As soon as I get a chunk of 2X12 from my older son that's about the right length, I'll just fasten down my present planer sled to the middle of it, then run that thru the planer. I've been thinking about this, and don't see any reason it won't work. For just-in-case I'll put a small piece of wood at each end to support the being planed pieces so they won't tip up going thru the planer.

Anyone else tried anything like this?

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

Why would you wish fasten your present sled to a 2X12?? I would just cut a 3+' piece of 1/2"ply and use that as a sled for planeing the thinner stock.

Gene

Reply to
DZIN

Sun, Feb 25, 2007, 6:55am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net (DZIN) doth wondereth: Why would you wish fasten your present sled to a 2X12?? I would just cut a 3+' piece of 1/2"ply and use that as a sled for planeing the thinner stock.

Because my planer sled is made to plane pieces on edge? And I want to plane the edges of some pieces about 40" long?