Speaker box question

Page 2 of 2

I'll have to look it up if I make another. This has been interesting once I got into it a bit. Lots more to it than meets the eye first time out. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski apparently said,on my timestamp of 13/07/2004 1:10 PM:

"The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook". Vance Dickason. Sixth Edition, Oct 2000. ISBN: 1-882580-33-8
Warning: it's a slippery slope. You'll find yourself trying this, then that, then the other, then one more bit, etcetcetc.......
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto

Can you describe that? Serious. I have seen speakers blown by too _little_ back pressure (over excursion) caused by ducts.
What happened?

Depends on the speaker. Some are designed for sealed boxes, some for ported. Check the specs.
I've also seen speakers blown the way you describe, but it had nothing to do with the box. A subsonic noise component drove them right out of the baskets. <G>
Barry
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:01:52 GMT, B a r r y
Third time the bass drum hit. Honky Tonk Woman...
phph phph-phph phph phph phph phph phph-phph phph....

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:01:52 GMT, B a r r y
hmm..ok. Thanks.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:01:52 GMT, B a r r y

OK. Thought it over. I had always assumed that the reccommended box was to do with sound characteristics, not the ddanger of blowing cones. This has always been born out for me by the fact that some speakers just sound like shit in a vented/closed etc enclosure.

Popping the cone...no that has another meaning altogether, IIRC.
It would have _something to do with the box, surely. The back-pressure in a sealed enclosure _may_ have saved that one time.
I do remember that stage speakers have a completely different magnet/coil setup, so that the coil moves out of the magnetic field before the coil pops out of the basket.

Stage speaker drivers are, as a rule are a good bit less efficient than home speakers. Recorded music is massaged and compressed, and never has things like 120dB accidental feedback, not to mention live uncompressed drums.
If you connect your 1200W stage stack to your home receiver, you'll be impressed by how little volume you get, and how muddy it sounds (to be pedantic, you'd usually need a passive crossover to do this).
OTOH, if you connect your "100W Peak Power" home stereo speakers to an inexpensive 50W guitar amp, you'll be impressed at the bright colors and the smell of the smoke.
DAMHIKT
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:27:15 GMT, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" <"Charles
I once tried (and gave up) to fix a 5watt per channel home stereo into which the guy had plugged the speaker output from his guitar amp to get a better sound....

"Old Nick" wrote in message

Driver design ... some drivers are designed to be ported, others not. There is a good deal of magic/art in correct porting of a specific driver for a certain sound and the size of the box, despite the physics involved and the manufacturer's recommendations. I used to build my bass cabinets based on the old Dietz design, which was a favorite for bass players in the "old days" and I experimented with many different porting sizes and designs on most of them ... AAMOF, I still play through an old Altec 15" bass speaker in an original Dietz box that I customized the porting on..
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Yep. everything to spec, and it still sounds not right.

I once designed and built some horn-loaded, vented bass speakers for a PA, using some JBL 15" drivers. It was as efficient as all hell, and actually sounded good.
I do reckon that a lot of problems with home-built systems are cheap drivers, trying to get good bass. Doesn't matter what you do.
Old Nick wrote:

Too much power for too small of a magnet.?
--
{neatly edited}