speaker wire question

I want to put longer wires on my stereo system speakers. The speakers say 6 ohm. Longer by about 20 feet each. Will adding longer wire affect the sound? My stereo is one of those multi CD players that costs about $200.

Figured this was an on topic question, and some genius would have the right answer.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Wow. I never realized that asking a simple electronics question would bring out the elitist snobs.

This stereo is in a mountain cabin. I guess I should put in a great expensive system there, huh? So I can turn up the bass and blow my eardrums out like so many people are doing today. Either that, or destroy the silence and peace I go there to enjoy.

I worked Consumer Electronics Show a couple of years ago at the Alexis Park Hotel where they have the expensive home systems. I looked at one, and asked how much it cost. The salesman said, "$250,000".

I asked what made it so valuable. He looked both ways, and then said, "Oh, it's not worth that much. It is just that there are some people who are so stupid that they will pay that much."

Heeeeeeeeeere's yer sign.

Grow up, you friggin moron. Goes for Punch, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Considering the probable low output power of a consumer 'CD player', just get some #18 lamp cord (aka zip cord) for about 10 cents/foot. Maintain the same polarity as the factory setup.

Reply to
PanHandler

It won't make your stereo sound any worse than it does now.

Reply to
badgolferman

You may use anything longer than it is wide and made of metal without affecting the sound. Barbed wire, coathangers, soldered-together razor blades, model railroad tracks, dog leash, clothesline, Christmas tree lights, anything.

Reply to
HeyBub

if your unti is worth $200, then the sound is already crap, so you wouldn't notice a difference...

Reply to
Punch

"badgolferman" wrote

I have added long runs of wire to my current system

Really simple when you say it that way, isn't it?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks, George. What threw me was the 6 ohm rating. In my younger daze (sic), everything was 8 ohm. These speakers have tiny wires, and I figured that putting longer smaller wire on there would increase resistance. (I guess I did stay awake during some of those electronics classes.)

Figuring that this system is marginal performance at best, I just wanted to know what would be the best way to run the speakers way up the walls of the cabin to fill it all with sound, but not make a problem that would take a day of long tall ladders to redo.

Thanks for all who supplied useful pertinent information.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Any COPPER wire should do the job. For a more professional look you can coat the ends with solder. It also makes stranded wiring less of a hassle.

Reply to
ebackhus

You should take your own advice also. You have assumed a certain attitude that wasn't there in the first place.

I used to have a very high-end system that I collected over years and eventually stopped listening to because I listen to AM talk radio now. I sold it all on Ebay and bought a cheap DVD entertainment system. So you see, I am not an elitist. I just have experience with expensive and cheap systems. I have added long runs of wire to my current system and it made no difference in the sound. That was my statement to you.

Cheers.

Reply to
badgolferman

The original wire supplied with the speakers is probably minimal as far as size. Don't reuse it. Start over and use 18 gauge or larger zip wire for the entire run. It will be fine for this. The original wire is too small to allow for any lengthening. Don't bother with any expensive "monster cable" or similar nonsense.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud®

Not just any copper wire, it has to be oxygen free according to some advertisements. (I though all copper wire was oxygen free???) Oh, it also has to be expensive. VERY expensive.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yup. Gotta have one of those too:

giroup01

I think the sarcasm is probably generated by the outrageous advertising about the need for large size wire for speakers.

The fact is that for the average consumer system and the average person, any reasonable size wire (say 16 gauge or larger) is just fine for any reasonable length of wire (don't know what reasonable is but certainly 20 feet is reasonable). Just use ordinary lamp cord (16 gauge) and you will be fine. And yes, if you use tiny wire you will have fall of some of the frequencies, but you still would need an expensive system and a very good ear to tell the difference or not be able to adjust the system to correct the frequency fall off.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

LOL You should also make sure it was not tested on animals, and is low in saturated fats.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Or add a wooden knob to it:

PanHandler

With nitrogen charged insulation.

Reply to
User Example

The 6-ohm rating is the resistance of the speaker. Adding resistance to the circuit by adding wire will change the sound in that you'll have to turn up the volume slightly to get the same volume out of the speaker. Too small of a wire will also start to cut out some of the lowest frequencies (as was already stated), but the added resistance will help your amp run cooler if that's any consolation.

Reply to
MrC1

It makes me wonder why I'm not in that buisness

Reply to
FDR

Steve,

Inexpensive 16 ga. "zip" cord from any hardware store makes good speaker wire. Really, really long runs of wire can affect the performance and sound but if you keep it under 100' you should be OK.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel