Spar varnish for bench OK?

Seem to recall reading that spar varnish isn't recommended for use on boat seats as it will be too soft and might soil clothing. Am I recalling bum/invalid info? Using white oak for garden becnch seat/back and first thought was spar varnish but wnat to be sure of suitability.
I've used spar varnish for an outdoor glider with no problems. Spar varnish seems to hold up pretty well to the elements and once cured, I never saw any "soiling" problems.
Gary in KC

Good info.
Lots of non spar good marine varnishes available. Get one with UV inhibitors for best results.
HTH
--
Lew

Yes you are. As a long oil varnish spar varnish cures "soft" only in comparison to a short oil varnish ones that don't say spar of marine on the label. The higher oil to resins ratio allows the spar varnish flex and better accommodate the movement of wood in an outdoor environment..
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

I have a bench with Minwax spar urethane. Holding up well after a year. I have two oak rockers with . the same stuff for about 5 years. I'll do a little touch up in a couple of weeks on the rocker portion.
Just finished a chaise lounge with Cetol Marine. It looks like it will be a durable finish, but I did not care for the application. It is darker color (Marine Light is available), prone to runs and take a long time to cure. Did I mention that it is $32US a quart!!!!? If it last a long time it may be worth the extra cost. I'll let you know in five or ten years. Ed