Best Spar Varnish?

This isn't really a wood question, but I figured this is the best place for varnish knowledge

A painter told me that Pratt & Lambert made the best spar varnish for my garage door. He claimed that it had the highest level of UV blockers. He must have been right, because that varnish outlasted others. The problem I am having is that it is hard to find in my area.

So, the question I have is: "are there any reports that rate Pratt & Lambert better than others?"

Reply to
m pautz

blockers.

I haven't heard that specifically, but Pratt & Lambert does make good stuff in general.

For spar varnish, I'd recommend going to marine supply shops to get the best recommendations. Afterall, spar varnish's intended use is on boats...

will

Reply to
Will

I suppose it depends on your application - but . . . the really best spar varnish is a Dutch boat varnish called Epfanes - Now here on the west coast of Michigan with all the boat places it is reasonably easy to get - but be prepared - ever wonder why the bright work on a boat is so expensive - the varnish is about $130 a gallon. So now it comes to balance - I use the varnish to create a mirrored finish on a surface that is only a 1/4" wide and a quart last for years - is the garage door needing of this quality????

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Cattanach

quality????

Check out Jamestown Distributors.

6, 1 liter cans for about $106.00 per last catalog.

Yes, it definitely is the high priced spread, but then again, the best usually is.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:50:43 -0400, "Wayne Cattanach" calmly ranted:

Be sure to use Bloxygen (or equiv) in that can if you're going to save it for that long. Varnish -will- skin up.

  • Michelangelo would have made ** Website Programming
  • better time with a roller. **
Larry Jaques

Haven't you ever used the old propane trick?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:04:12 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" calmly ranted:

Not yet, but I'm sure I will once this free can of Bloxy is used up. Just be careful opening up the can, eh? ;)

  • Michelangelo would have made ** Website Programming
  • better time with a roller. **
Larry Jaques

It's NBD, propane is heavier than air so it stays in the can till you stir things a little.

OTOH, if you are stupid enough to still be smoking at this late date>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(Don't you just hate us ex-smokers who still rant?)

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:07:03 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" calmly ranted:

Yabbut, the hammer and your best chisel on the steel of the varnish can...

I still rant, too, after 15 years. Luckily, I can't even GO into a smoke-filled bar any more.

===================================================================== -=Everything in Moderation,=- NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards -=including moderation.=-

Larry Jaques

As one that has varnished acres of oak, mahogany and teak in four decades of boat ownership and maintenance, I feel qualified to add my two cents worth. Epiphanes has its advocates but it is expensive and takes a long time to dry. My favorite is International Flagship varnish. I have tried Bloxygen, propane, wax paper, storing the can upside down and a million other things. My favorite way to preserve varnish from year to year is to NOT remove the lid. I punch two holes in the lid. One is to pour through, the other is a vent. Pour the varnish through a disposable strainer into the bucket (disposable paper) you plan to use. The holes in the lid can be sealed with #10 self tapping sheet metal screws. Invert the can briefly to coat the threads and thats it. I have made a holder for the strainer and can because varnish flows through a small hole about like honey does......SLOWLY. This method saves varnish; you can use the whole canful! If anyone has a better way, let me know. Dave

Reply to
Dave W