Source for infill timber

Hi.

I'm looking for a source of quality timber for an infill plane (ie thick ).

Prefer somebody who will deal with international customers for small orders.

Also reasonably seasoned timber would be good.

Any help appreciated.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Woodturning bowl blanks.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

finding 8/4 and up tropicals is tricky. cocobolo can be had but anymore most of it is too wet to use right away. 8/4 ebony is getting scarce and you usually have to buy it in the billet form. really the best solution is to use 4/4 and glue it up. lap the wood on a flat surface and you can get a very good glueup that few will notice. or hunt around for old wood.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Thanks for the reply.

I thought this might be the case.

I agree that the join from glueing up a handle would be hard to pick if done carefully - but that leaves the knob at the front - can't have it all I suppose.

This just makes me wonder where we will be in 50 years time....

Forget oil - plant some trees.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

part of the problem is that wood is sold so fast it does not have time to dry. one reason we see less thick wood. oily tropicals need a lot of time to dry and there just is not that time between cutting and selling.

Reply to
Steve Knight