SOT- Feelin' Guilty about buying Chinese This n That...

Page 4 of 5
Rudy wrote:

well, you're wrong there.

No, of course not, but "sane, honest and hardworking" certainly doesn't describe the CEOs who put this year's bottom line before their social responsibilities, or the managers who are set near-impossible targets. And even the good folks mostly put their head in the sand and hope the problem will go away.
The Kyoto Protocol is NOT a bad treaty - anyone who believes that has been paying too much attention to GWB - and Clinton's administration recognized that and signed it. All the developed countries except the US have ratified it - even Russia for christ's sake !

No, sorry. The developed countries produce most of the pollution and they are the ones who can afford to do something about it.
Ask yourself - how much are YOU prepared to pay to give your grand-children breathable air and drinkable water? And the later you leave it the more it will cost.

No of course not. But everybody wants somebody else to take it on the jaw to fix it.

errr.. but when the Kyoto agreement has _not_ been signed, the loss of manufacturing and jobs is still happening. If all the rich nations signed the agreement and balckballed the nations that did not, then if China refused to sign, jobs would come away from China, and back to the US!
***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????

That's a lot of "ifs" for a nation to stake its economy on.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

It's tougher because American quality isn't really much better (if at all) than Chinese quality. I'd have no problem paying top dollar for a US made tool if it was head-and-shoulders above the competition in quality, but unfortunately, I've found that in many cases, the US tool is no better, or worse inferior, than the import stuff that's much cheaper.
I buy quality for the price, regardless of where it comes from. If the US wants to get my money, they need to pony up the quality.
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:05:11 GMT, patrick conroy

I buy from wherever makes it best. If this is China (my titanium bike frame), then I'll happily buy Chinese.
The solution to an excessive trade in cheap crap is not to buy cheap crap. We're all too affluent - far too much property around means that ownership has itself been devalued. How can you take pride in a piece of furniture when it's just $25 from Ikea ? Have less - but have better.

Andy, Andy, Andy. I know you've been contributing to the group for quite a while - with some excellent responses, BTW - but maybe you didn't realize that most here are Americans...
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:46:53 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

He probably didn't, because that mental squirt doesn't have a clue about anything. Look at the banal and useless things he makes and takes such pride in! Talk about someone who ain't got a life! His real name must be Andy Dingleberry, and the world is a worse place since his pitiful mother spawned him/it. I wish he'd make himself a coffin out of that scrap wood he uses, and bury himself in it alive, and very, very deep.
Peace, Rb
Rb did say:

Jeez, Rb... What'd AD do to you? That's at least two death wishing flames today. Not that I care about AD one way or the other, I'm just curious.
Peace???!!! Not with AD obviously.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

WoodMangler did say:

Looking at your headers, they match the news server of only one other person on the rec. Can't say why you despise AD so much, he didn't seem to participate too much in the political threads you were so fond of until recently.
Actually I think that his reply makes a lot of sense. Americans buy too much for the sake of owning things. To do this they must look at price and not quality, then they complain about how poorly everything is made as they go out to buy more cheap stuff to replace the cheap stuff they don't need in the first place. If we all bought only what we needed and bought quality items we would all have more money in the bank and be living better. If you don't think Americans own to much stuff, spend a weekend going to yard sales.

Sometimes you have no choice. I went to buy a toaster recently. Every single one was made in China. Tools are getting more and more from overseas even if we want to buy US.
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:10:14 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The daughter wanted an over the range microwave. We strolled down the micro aisle at the borg, and she opens an E-wave. I says "Made in Korea". I says "you don't want that". As we opened all the others, GE, Maytag, Fridge, all the "US" made brands - every damned microwave is made in Korea! I would guess, after taking a look, they all may have come out of the same factory.
--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between

IMHO get the tool that offers the most value to you personally. Buying more expensive or inferior hurts every body including the factory worker. The locals need to learn to compete if they expect to remain in business. One day it will be too late to learn to compete. Now is a good tome to learn.
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:27:44 +0000, Leon wrote:

Soooo, since EVERY microwave is made in Korea, how do I tell which is the best value and what do the "locals" have to do with it, and who are the "locals" competing with, and isn't it already a little "late"?
-Doug
--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between

LOL... I knew that I probably should have posted this some where else. In this case it would be hard to tell since each one appears to have been made in one location. And yes in this case, it may be too late. I went through this during the spring, buying a new microwave to replace a 1978 model and every sales man knew SQUAT about the microwaves. Man these things do 10 times as much as they did back then for 1/4 the price.
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:17:39 -0700, Doug Winterburn

probably dae woo (sp)... they make everything from computers to cars..

We have a tank of a toaster. The Peterbuilt of toasters. It's a c.1955, chrome and bakelight Kenmore that I picked up for a buck at my local thrift store. Made in USA. Pops up a beautiful piece of hot toast just begging for a slab of butter.
Have also forked over a few bucks for a chrome and bakelight waffle iron, chrome clothes iron, and a polished aluminum(?) B&D drill - all made in the US of A. How many of the plastic, Asian-import toasters, irons and drills you all are buying today will still be working as the day they were boxed at the factory come 50 years?
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
patrick conroy wrote: [snip]

We have to keep making nice with the Chinese. The People's Republic owns a fair chunk of our $7 trillion nation debt.     twitch,     jo4hn
I posted this article before but it fits in better here. It is an article about how economist Paul Samuelson has done an about face on globalism and says it will cause grave problems in the country that is pushing all its labor off-shore, specifically mentioning China.
This is the quote I especially like:
"Samuelson's insight is that if a low-wage country like China suddenly makes a major productivity leap in an industry formerly led by the United States, the result can be a net negative for the American people. Although American consumers may benefit via low-low prices at Wal-Mart, their gains may be more than outweighed by large losses sustained by laid-off American workers."
As before, I am hesitant to quote the entire article because of copyright laws but here is the url to read it yourself:
http://www.prospect.org/web/page.ww?section=root&name=ViewWeb&articleId 21

I suspect that the potential laid-off American workers had better start becoming more competitive and learn to survive in world economy.