Some MDF Help Needed

I remember reading that when putting screws into MDF that it was advisable to follow certain procedures. My problem is that I forget what those procedures were. Also what does anyone think of the idea of putting threaded inserts into MDF? Thanks for any and all help!!

Reply to
Mike Dalton

I just attached an MDF table top to a wooden frame. All I did was use coarse thread panhead screws in pocket holes. I know MDF doesn't hold screws as well, so if you stick to coarse threads, you'll probably be fine.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

The ShopNotes technique has been working for me: a) Use non-tapered (constant width) sheet metal screws. I use #8. b) Pilot hole should bite into bottom piece only. Top piece, pilot should be width of threads. c) Counter sink *both* sides of top piece.

Reply to
tnfkajs