Some MDF Help Needed

I remember reading that when putting screws into MDF that it was advisable to follow certain procedures. My problem is that I forget what those procedures were. Also what does anyone think of the idea of putting threaded inserts into MDF? Thanks for any and all help!!
I just attached an MDF table top to a wooden frame. All I did was use coarse thread panhead screws in pocket holes. I know MDF doesn't hold screws as well, so if you stick to coarse threads, you'll probably be fine.
Mike

least
deep
The ShopNotes technique has been working for me: a) Use non-tapered (constant width) sheet metal screws. I use #8. b) Pilot hole should bite into bottom piece only. Top piece, pilot should be width of threads. c) Counter sink *both* sides of top piece.