some 3d work and inlay on the cnc

There is a demo part I made with cut3d. This is made from ipe with a lot of bit overlap for a smooth finish. It still needs some sanding but not a huge amount. It took about 1 hour to make it I used a ¼" endmill to remove the bulk and then the final cuts were done with a

1/8 ball nose endmill. Its 10" long I think. The inlay is done with 60 degree v cutting bit. A fellow came up with this method as it is easier to do small pieces and you can get sharp corners. I think I did not champ it tight enough and had a gap the others I did were worse. It's that or the pieces moved while cutting. When doing the inlay you're taking over a third of an inch off with a vee bit. The wood needs to be held really tight.
Steve knight

I can't wait to try stuff like that myself.

Reply to
Robatoy

Steve:

I take it business is good?

Just remember - there are a LOT more CNC owners than there are plane makers. Anyone can run a CNC machine. Few have the skills and knowledge to make nice, very functional hand planes - that look and feel nice too.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

I have not peddled the cnc machine yet too far behind on plane making because of it (G) the cnc is not that easy there is a steep learning curve and a lot of practice. hope to make planes on it someday too but I bought it to bring in outside work to my shop.

Reply to
Steve knight