Solid surface

Hello,
Im making a new countertop for our kitchen. I will use a partical board fro the base, Formika for the top and a strip of solid surface for the edge.
What is the best glue to use to glue the edge?
Thanks Christian
I made a tile counter and used RTV to hold Corian edging on it. I used finish nails with the heads cut off in blind holes in the Corian to anchor it but once the RTV set up I doubt they are really doing anything. I used 3/4 plywood for the base because I was worried particle board would absorb water and blow up.
What does the manufacturer recommend?

fro
Don't know I didn't ask...
Christian

That might be the best answer. They do use special adhesives for joining pieces in 45 degree corners.

board
edge.
I just called the dude, he said that they use contact cement on the back and they use a epoxy type glue for the joint. the problem is, it comes in a 2 big tubes (silicone size) available at 120.00$ (CAN) and you need the special gun.
I only have 2 joint 1/4" x 1" to do...
Christian

Then I would mix up some 2 part Epoxy

Hey Leon, Can we get some dye for epoxy?
Christian

partical
the
My wealth of information has come to an abrupt halt. I think you can change the color but very dark is all that I have heard of.

I know we usually think of JB Weld type products that come out grey but there are also clear and white epoxy mixes. I think they just do the black and white = grey to get people to mix it properly.
"Christian Charette" writes:

Yes.
They basically take epoxy and mill a color additive to it.
Black is a popular color.
I buy 1 qt cans of black.
A couple of tablespoons colors a gallon quite nicely.
HTH
--
Lew

There is a special color matched corian joint adhesive. or similar for whatever other manufacturer you choose. They also make special plastic biscuits for solid surface. Personally in this non standard application I would just get a tube of the color matched (to the formaica) caulk and seal the joint to the solid surface with that. I would use the plastic biscuits. Be sure to use the high density particle board or mdf as a substrate for the formica. Plywood is _not_ recommended.
Mike

Christian, there are always new Corian epoxy packages on eBay in various colors. They usually go for about $15.00

--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.