(Possible repost) Making a kitchen island countertop

I posted this yesterday, but somehow it does not show in Google groups, so I'm reposting it. Sorry if it's a dupe. I am including some correspondence I've had off-line (which proves that someone did see my post!) iouri

Hi Mike, thank you very much for your reply!

By solid cherry panel I mean "glued up boards cherry panel". I do not have a biscuit joiner, but I guess I could rent one at HomeDepot... although it seems simpler to just rout a groove in both the panel and the border and glue a spline around the perimiter and in the miter. Something I am worried about is that if I rout a groove at the mid-depth of the board, it would be half in the wood, half in MDF. It that a problem? BTW, should I use MDF or plywood?

Thanks, iouri

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike G" To: "Pefferie" Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 1:57 PM Subject: Re: Making a kitchen island countertop

First important question to be answered is, what do you mean by solid cherry > panel? Cherry plywood panel or glued up boards cherry panel? That is going > to be a major factor in answering several of your questions. > > For the best appearance the ends of the border should be mitered. I'd > probably use FF biscuits but you have to have a biscuits jointer that is > adjustable to the irregular angles. Splines would work well as will dowels > if you can drill the holes at the proper angle. A lot depends on what tools > you have to work with and how good you are with them. > > Generally you'd want to be easing edges and such after the piece is all > glued up and the glue has cured. > . > > > > -- > Mike G. > > > Hi, > > I want to make a countertop for a kitchen island that would create a > > separation between the kitchen and the living room. In a building > > materials salvage store, I bought: > > > > A solid cherry panel (3/4" thick) > > Mahogany boards (1.5" thick) > > > > My plan is to glue another panel to the underside of the cherry one to > > make it thicker and make a ~ 1.5" mahogany border around the > > perimiter. > > > > The project is complicated by the fact that the island is an irregular > > hexagone. > > > > As I have very little experience with woodworking, I would appreciate > > any constructive advice, especially: > > > > 1. What should I glue to the board's underside - MDF or plywood? What > > gue should I use? > > 2. How do I attach the border - just glue, glue + tongue-and-groove, > > biscuits? > > How do I join the ends of the border segments - miter or rabbet > > with dowels, or? If the segments are just glued together, is there a > > risk that they could separate due to the board's shrinkage and > > swelling (even if it is glued to MDF)? What kind of glue? > > 3. Routing the outer edge of the border - should I glue the border and > > then rout it, or rout the segments before gluing on a router table? > > > > Thanks, > > iouri > > > > >
Reply to
Pefferie