Skill with a Skill

Page 2 of 3
"-MIKE-" wrote in message

Just like a drummer, used to showing up on the downbeat! <g>
No offense, Mike, but the change in times and attitude is nicely reflected in your question. It wasn't Robert that "expected" anything, it was the dude himself, who was hired to do the job, that expected it of himself as part of the job!
I agree, it's not a prevailing attitude today, thus the discussion.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Exactly. Precisely. For this man, it was something that others here obviously just don't get. It is a standard that he held himself to, his own standard that goes beyond the norm. As seen here, it totally escapes some - beyond their comprehension, and even their imagination.
The particular man I had in my mind's eye when I typed that just thought that was the way the world worked. It was the way I was expected to act when I started in the trades. It was that way before me, and no doubt before that.
Years ago, there were NO acceptable excuses for being late. If you were there every day on time (which my first boss considered 20 mintues before actually starting so he could get a head count while you were getting your tools out), you were given a pass on that rare day there was a traffic pile up, a sick kid, etc.

And how well any employer would understand that.
Robert

Hell, and my recent IME, many of today's young worker's want to be patted on the back and rewarded with a raise for just showing up.
Damn if we don't sound like a couple of old farts ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Yeah, and they consider showing up in flip flops to a business office to be a fashion statement.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/8628616 /
jc

Absolutely. And I have had more than one that wanted >a raise< because they had not only attended several day in a row, but wanted a reward for not being late.
Except of course, the times it wasn't their fault.
My first boss in construction had been trained by the union. If you were late by one minute, you had to wait 1/2 hour in your truck before you could start. If you were more than 10 minutes late, you had to wait an hour before you could start. You had to wait in your vehicle so you couldn't fudge and say you were working.
If you protested too much, he sent you home. If you did it more than a couple of times you were fired. There were no exceptions. With that kind of rigidity, none of us ever gave a thought to being a 20 minutes early so we could catch up on things a bit before we cranked up the machines. Everyone was on time.
His personal philosophy was that he paid us to WORK for 8 hours. Work did not mean "getting your tools out" or "putting your tools up". He always held himself to that same standard. As another bonus, he was unconcerned with your watch. His was the only one that counted.
If things poorly on the job, just to screw with us, he used to set his watch back about ten minutes so we would get upset and he could yell at us for something else. It seemed to kind of keep things in balance.
I actually liked and respected that man more than anyone I ever worked for or around. He was a rigid taskmaster, but boy were we all proud of he work we turned out when working with him. We felt like real first class MOFOs when we worked on his crew.
Sadly, when he retired from work he was so confused about today's work force he was completely miserable. It made him old before his time.

*chuckles*
Yeah, we do. I'll admit there is a little fartage coming on....
I wish some of those children that work for me from time to time would quit calling me "an old dude", though.
Whippersnappers!
Robert

I knew the answer. I wanted to hear it from him. There *are* bosses who expect people to be early and work late, then bitch about paying for it.
Don't get me started on smoking breaks.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Coming from the other end, I have trouble with the kind of boss who's standing there with his stopwatch making snotty remarks when you come in thirty seconds late, but he was long gone when you went home at 2 AM the night before.
Swingman wrote:

And please! We're the first one in and the last one out because of all this crap we have to haul. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Yeah, and if we get stuck in traffic and *don't* get there before everybody else, setup is a nightmare because you have to trip over everybody else's junk and grouse at them to move it so there's enough room to set up the drums!
Steve Turner wrote:

Or like the lead singer who gets there first and sets up his $3000 acoustic on a $10 guitar stand, right in the middle of the stage while everyone with road cases has to tip-toe around the thing, which he plays out of tune on 3 songs.
--

-MIKE-

ROFL!.....
nb

About the only thing I would be pissed about is an idiot that puts words in my mouth.
Did I indicate anywhere that I EXPECTED him to be there early. You, the one that has admonished others for not being as literal as possible, not adhering to the written word exactly as it has been recorded. You have done this before when responding to my posts, reacting by putting you own thoughts down as my words.
Read my post again. If you are unclear of its commentary, post your questions here.
Don't put words in my mouth or pretend to read my thoughts, asshole.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Wow. I'll be sure to note for future reference that you have a short fuse to go along with being passive aggressive.
Did I talk too loud? :-)
--

-MIKE-

No, he got aggravated that you didn't take the time to understand what you read and then compounded it by replying to something he didn't say.
Maybe you like responding to people who don't listen to what you're saying, but most people don't.
Upscale wrote:

I've been doing this usenet thing for more than a decade and this group, without a doubt, contains some of the most thinned skinned, crotchety, sense-of-humor-less, hair-triggered folks of any group I've frequented.
If R.W. were a bar, there would be a big section of guys kidding around with each other, taking jesting jabs at one another, laughing it up, and there'd be one booth in the corner with 4 guys whining and moaning about youngsters who don't respect their elders, pining away about the old days.
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

Beg to differ ... ran a FidoNet node back in the 70's, and co-wrote the very first Windows mail software for Fido ... IME, nothing has changed in that regard whatsoever.
Just ask Jack about the OS wars back then ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I don't know. I thought your other post was hilarious. ;)
nb
notbob wrote:

That's why I wrote,"some of." :-) I've been in other groups and a majority of guys see the usenet for the pub-like atmosphere that it is.
--

-MIKE-

Agreed. I've jes been reading for a couple days and already like it. Lotta geezers with old work ethic, like myself. I find older crowd to still have tolerance and humor. Granted, lotta curmudgeons, but good humored curmudgeons. ;)
nb <-- g/h curm

Or maybe, people are yanking your chain to see what kind of reaction they can get out of you. Possibly, it's you that's taking things too seriously to realize that people are having a laugh at your expense. Sounds pretty bar like to me.
Unfortunately, in a place where text is the sole language of communication along with the absence of inflections and body language to assist with that yukking it atmosphere that you're apparently missing, the few emoticons available (or lack there of) may be insufficient here for the bar scene that you're seeking.
(I tried very hard to make that last paragraph one long sentence and still make sense.)