Skill with a Skill

Heh, heh.

Reply to
LRod

No Mike, I'm not saying that, but, leaving home so that you arrive at the work location so that you get there as they are opening the doors is cutting it too close for me, Too many times they have walked in late because of traffic, or what ever reason. When I was working, I liked to be able to be able to have time to collect my tools, get some coffee and have time to drink it, not have to drive like an idiot to make sure that I am not late, and to be ready to start my work day without all the stress of hoping the boss doesn't catch me walking in past start time, or anyone waiting on me because I was late. CC

Reply to
CC

Or maybe, people are yanking your chain to see what kind of reaction they can get out of you. Possibly, it's you that's taking things too seriously to realize that people are having a laugh at your expense. Sounds pretty bar like to me.

Unfortunately, in a place where text is the sole language of communication along with the absence of inflections and body language to assist with that yukking it atmosphere that you're apparently missing, the few emoticons available (or lack there of) may be insufficient here for the bar scene that you're seeking.

(I tried very hard to make that last paragraph one long sentence and still make sense.)

Reply to
Upscale

Oh, *I'm* the one getting all upset. Ok.

I haven't heard the old "I'm rubber, you're glue" in quite a few years. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

But you risk arousing the spelling/grammar police, and there's always a few of them around. ;~)

Reply to
DGDevin

Heh, well put.

I noticed yesterday in a big-box store that their 77s were made in China. I wonder if some are still U.S.-made, or have they moved all their production overseas? I see quite a few on Craig's List for $80-90, some as low as $50. A 77 is on the list, I just want to find a nice clean one at the right price.

Reply to
DGDevin

For the sake of discussion, I don't think work ethic has anything to do with age. I've supervised 20 year olds with strong work ethics and the utmost responsibility. When given the opportunity to meet their parents, I would find out why. That's something that is most often taught and led by a parent or role model.

I think age can hone one's work ethic and experience (school of hard knocks) makes or breaks it in many people, but every generation has its slackers and its conscientious, responsible workers.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've gone all this time without ever using a worm-gear saw. What are the advantages? Torque?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have a good ol' USA-made 77 in cherry shape that I could sell you at the right price, 'cept it ain't for sale. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Neener, neener.

Reply to
-MIKE-

In that case, I'd suggest quite strongly that your tagline is exceptionally inappropriate where you're concerned.

Reply to
Upscale

I certainly agree that there are people of all ages with a strong work ethic and the same for slackers. However, I think you find that those who started their work life at a time when you could and did actually get fired if you did not do good work and you competed to get and keep a job to feed your family learned a better work ethic. Those who have worked in an environment where you cannot get fired and nobody forces high quality work for fear of a lawsuit or at least paying high unemplyment rates have not felt the need to learn the ethic.

Reply to
dhall987

Like it or not, that is one of the benefits of a slump in the economy and/or higher unemployment rates. If you're a slacker, why would you worry about getting fired, when you can just walk across the street and get a job.

When jobs are scarce, the slackers get fired... or butch up and start pulling their weight.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Ah, let me count the ways...

  1. It's HEAVY. When making a cut, inertia is your friend.
  2. The blade spins slower (4400 RPM vs 5500 RPM, I think) so you get more torque out of the saw. When cutting wet wood that tries its best to bind the blade, this comes in handy.
  3. The saw is looooong. When making a rip cut, a side-to-side movement of your hand to get off your chalkline is consequently larger than with a universal gear (is that what they're called?) saw.
  4. Like Tom said, when resting a joist on your foot, you don't have to bend over so far.
  5. You get to tell your friends, "Yeah, I had to change the oil...in my Skil saw."

I was shown the glory that is the worm-gear about 3 years ago, and I'll never have another saw. Currently, I own a Ridgid and a Skil. The Skil is considerably heavier, and I like it considerably better.

Back on-topic, I'm a (relatively) young man, and I hold the values in this thread to be of the highest, um, value. A mentor of mine had a theory--without getting too long-winded, there are 4 types of employees, all having 2 traits. High and low knowledge, and high and low motivation. Obviously, the high-skill, high-motivation employee is the most desirable, but Mr. Leavoy swore up and down all week long that he'd rather have high-motivation, low-skill employees than the other way around. In my own life, I've found that you can teach anyone to do anything, but you can't teach the "want." The person either wants to learn (or improve), or he doesn't.

BTW, it's been a long time, gentlemen. I'm glad to welcome you all back onto my computer screen. It's good to be back on the wRECk.

Phil

-It's easier to believe than to decide.

Reply to
phildcrow