Sketchup mess-up

Page 2 of 2
On 9/23/10 6:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:

you didn't see this? "<*GRIN*>"
--

-MIKE-

What are you trying to do??!!!!
Confusing a good story with -facts-.
That that's a crime that can get you thrown off the Internet *entirely*, is a fact you are aware of, right?
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Well, I am now :)
I presume I shouldn't run for public office either, right?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Sep 22, 4:28pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Ouch. Nice.
The most interesting man in the world.
He has served as best man for grooms he's never met. He strongly abides by the motto: "Safety third." His garden maze is responsible for more missing persons than the Bermuda Triangle. Even watching him sleep has been described as breathtaking. He's never needed lip balm. He went to a psychic once...to warn her. The Aztec calendar has his birthday chiseled in. The front of his house looks like it was built by the Mayans...because it was. His tacos refuse to fall from the shell. If you were to see him walking chihuahua, it would still look masculine. Dicing onions doesn't make him cry...it only makes him stronger. He has never filled up on chips. Signs that say "This is not an exit" do not apply to him. If he rides with you in your car, its resale value will instantly increase. If he passed you on the street you would still feel stopped and said hello and asked you about your day. If you were trapped with him in an elevator, you wouldn't want to be saved. His business card just says, "I'll call you." It is said the sun comes up later on the 6th of May, in case his Cinco parties run long. The Mayans prophecized his birth. He once taught a German Shepard to bark in Spanish. He serves sizzling fajita platters barehanded. Bulls flat-out refuse to fight him. His charm is so contagious; vaccines have been created for it. Years ago he built a city out of blocks. Today, over six thousand people live and work there. He is the only man to ever ace a Rorschach test. Every time he goes for a swim dolphins appear. Alien abductors have asked him to probe them. If he were to give you directions, you'd never get lost and you'd arrive at least 5 minutes early. His legend precedes him, the way lightning precedes thunder. People hang on his every word, even the prepositions. He once challenged his own reflection to a staring contest. On the 4th day, he won. He can disarm you with his looks, or his hands. His mother has the word "Son" tattooed on her arm. He can speak French, in Russian. He'd show his feminine side...... If he had one. If he disagrees with you, it is because you're wrong. In museums, he is allowed to touch the art. Even his parrots advice is insightful.. His shirts never wrinkle. He is left-handed. And right-handed. Even if he forgets to put postage on his mail, it gets there. He once knew a call was a wrong number, even though the person on the other end wouldnt admit it. You can see his charisma from space. He was once found guilty, of being innocent. When he wakes up the roses smell him. His bear hugs are actually hugs he gives to bears. You cannot buy him, but occasionally trimmings from his beard come up in auctions. and "he once had an awkward moment... just to see how it feels"

Well... It has some milling, specifically pocket screw holes that mess up that idea. However, I can easily pull these pieces from my scrap pile. I also have several hundred board feet of Pine left from my last big haul.

I am confused as to how this is a Sketchup mess-up.

You are sematically correct. My point... the way I am using Sketchup is not optimal. Perhaps if I paid for the pro version I could have a better workflow and dump dxf directly to CAD, or maybe I should just learn to detail my parts in Sketchup.

Let me make a suggestion ... and not knowing whether the Pro trial version is crippled in this regard ... before springing for the the Pro version, and providing you have a test file that you would like to try out, you could email same to me and I could export it in the Pro version and send the results back to you see if it indeed serves your purposes when imported back to CAD.
On that same note, I have been using Layout for full blown construction drawings and still find myself wishing on occasion that I was using a 2D program for that particular function.
Don't get me wrong, and I'm certainly not an expert Layout user, and for the projects I have done in this manner it has worked out amazingly well, but I firmly believe that any software that tries to be all things to all tasks is going to disappoint in some regard sooner or later.
Email is in the sig block if you want to catch me on the back channel.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I agree and is one of the reasons I manage 26 different (CAD like) software products all targeting different parts of the same process for simialr users.

Gotcha!
Detailing in Sketchup for me is easier than in 2D with AutoCAD LT. I used that program for 10+ years and now Sketchup gets all of my drawings.
Something to consider, you can do 2D in Sketchup. There is a free plug-in for Sketchup called Cut List 4.0 that will export a data file with all the dimensions and pieces needed. I use that plug-in to import data into Cut List Plus for material optimization.

He didn't say it was Sketchuup's -fault-. <grin>
He messed up, using it, and it _didn't_ warn/save him.
Like one of the classical sayings about Unix;
'It will _willingly_ hand you enough rope to hang yourself.'
The only 'problem' here is that Skechup didn't make it easy/obvious enough to do the checking needed to catch the inconsistency.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:42:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

How exactly is Sketchup supposed to tell him the numbers he put into AutoCAD are wrong? Or is it supposed to explain that boxing up all the parts before checking them is a bad idea?
I just throw dimensions onto the 3D drawing and print it with however many views I need to get the point across.

If you use Cut List 4.0 you can select components that you want, create a report of pieces needed with correct dimensions as drawn, with out a single dimension on the drawing. That file/report can be read by your or imported into an optimization program.
Or is it supposed to explain that boxing up all

Ouch!
I have my first test run of about a dozen each of a dozen products to try and officially launch my woodworking kit business and getting to the finish line is like running through molasses. My real job, family, drinking, chasing women, home repair, lack of funds, etc. are all conspiring to slow me down. I am so close I am just trying to button up the last few items and yes, took a risk to get things boxed and out of the shop so I could have room to try and actually assemble a few items, take pictures, etc.
I have only had one or two small snags... so far.

You're not the only one who get's bit when transferring parts and their dimensions from one environment to the another.
I don't have a checker either, so routinely double, triple, and quadruple check my own work, but still have been known to make the same mistake I made the first time.
I live in fear of batch cutting dozens of the same parts for a run of cabinets, only to find them on the too small side.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Hahaha. I'm sure glad I've never done anything stupid like that... in the last week, er... Never mind.