Silly Question about Jigs - --

Page 1 of 4
Last Saturday I was at an auction and was looking at the tools which happened to be inside . Another person was also broswing. The owner had made a number of wodden jigs for his table saw ranging from a miter sled to a tennoning jig. Just to make conversation with the other person, I stated that the owner and been rather prolific and had a lot of jigs to go with the saw. The person gave me that knowing look and said "their fixtures - you need to be careful and not call fixtures jigs" Well, my response was I'm a bit of a newbie at his (which is true) but everything I have read and heard refers to these things as jigs - fixtures is a new way of naming these things"
Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?"
Michael
My bet is that in the machine shop, and in the machinist' world, the difference is probably more pronounced/important/politically correct than it is in woodworking.
There is, at least semantically, a difference. To paraphrase, precisely, one of my old books: "A jig is a device used to maintain mechanically the correct positional relationship between a piece of work and the tool or between parts of work during assembly, and a fixture is a device for supporting work during machining."
Then again, I/it could be all wet.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Maybe the difference is more subtle: "A jig is a device for holding the wood relative to the tool, and a fixture is a jig used by people who think they know the difference."
IMHO, if it moves, it can't be a FIXture, because it's not fixed in place.
OTOH, if it doesn't dance, can it be a jig?
Ok, I'll quit now. Here's my excuse for bad puns (warning - lots of photos on this page): http://www.delorie.com/photos/shed/ (note the snow in the last few pictures - sigh)
I used a lot of jigs building that. They danced out of my hands a few times.
That makes the figs then.
: My bet is that in the machine shop, and in the machinist' world, the : difference is probably more pronounced/important/politically correct than it : is in woodworking. : : There is, at least semantically, a difference. To paraphrase, precisely, one : of my old books: "A jig is a device used to maintain mechanically the : correct positional relationship between a piece of work and the tool or : between parts of work during assembly, and a fixture is a device for : supporting work during machining." : : Then again, I/it could be all wet. : : -- : www.e-woodshop.net : Last update: 9/21/03 : : "MHaseltine" wrote in message : > Last Saturday I was at an auction and was looking at the tools which : happened : > to be inside . Another person was also broswing. The owner had made a : number : > of wodden jigs for his table saw ranging from a miter sled to a tennoning : jig. : > Just to make conversation with the other person, I stated that the owner : and : > been rather prolific and had a lot of jigs to go with the saw. The person : gave : > me that knowing look and said "their fixtures - you need to be careful and : not : > call fixtures jigs" Well, my response was I'm a bit of a newbie at his : (which : > is true) but everything I have read and heard refers to these things as : jigs - : > fixtures is a new way of naming these things" : > : > Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?" : > : > Michael : :
You have the correct definition. BTW, most machinists don't know the difference either.

it
one
tennoning
person
and
His "knowing look" probably had more to do with the racial connotation that jig carries. Pretty silly to my way of thinking, in this day and time. In my experience the "knowing look" is usually accompanied by a snicker or SEG, and usually comes from a racist. Flames welcomed.
-- Bill Pounds http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop

happened
number
jig.
and
gave
not
(which
jigs -

I haven't a clue what the hell you are talking about.

tennoning
person
and
CW,
I'm not certain but I'll give it a shot. In the same vein as California's recent attempt to remove hurtful and politically incorrect language (e.g., slave, as in "slave-cylinder"--gotta laugh at that one) from all areas of public discourse, POW imagines that the other WW's "knowing look" was the product of his own (racist) politically correct ideology, stemming from his understanding of the word jig as a racial derogatory (shortened form of "jigaboo"). A kinder judgment of the other WW might see him as trying to be (overly) sensitive, but I guess it depends where you stand on the "politically correct" issue.
Jig has been a common term among rednecks for a long time. See a brief explanation of it, and other such, at:
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0NQP/4_36/97252588/p1/article.jhtml
H.

I've lived in the heart of Red-neckville for twenty years and never heard the term. As it is a long standing legitimate term with no racist overtones, I can only guess that it is one of those things that people think long and hard to find a way to be offended by it.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

I remember it being used racially when I was growing up in Kentucky. It had been some 50 years since I'd heard it used that way until last year when someone even older than I used it that way.
I agree that most folks have never heard the racial slur, so it's an ovrreaction to object to "jig" used in either of it's normal definitions.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

says...

heard
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jigaboo
snipped-for-privacy@services.state.mo.us says...

So it's in the dictionary. So is "buggywhip". And your point is?
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

wrote in message

definitions.
Well, I thought that people might want to know the definition for reference. Didn't know you were gonna stick a 2x4 down your panties and turn it 30 times.
PM6564 wrote:

Is it? Do you have any interesting sources to substantiate that, or is that just folk etymology?
I have a dictionary with a pretty good amount of etymological information, and it says nothing about the jig/jigaboo relationship in reference to any of the definitions for "jig (1)" such as the dance (from /gigue/), a joke, blah blah, "a device for guiding a tool or for holding machine work in place." It has the jig/jigaboo thing for "jig (2)"
(American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th ed. BTW)

Here's the first one I came across: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jig
I tried to copy and paste it but it grabs everything including the HTML. Could you explain your second part?
"the jig/jigaboo relationship in reference to any

That confused the hell out of me.
Jig: A trolling bait, consisting of a bright spoon and a hook attached
fits, eh?

Nope, no troll involved. Tried helping out and the dipshit brigade showed up in force.
PM6564 wrote:

Main Entry: 1jig Pronunciation: 'jig Function: noun Etymology: perhaps from Middle French giguer to frolic, from gigue fiddle, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German gIga fiddle; akin to Old Norse geiga to turn aside Date: circa 1560 1 a : any of several lively springy dances in triple rhythm b : music to which a jig may be danced 2 : TRICK, GAME -- used chiefly in the phrase the jig is up 3 a : any of several fishing devices that are jerked up and down or drawn through the water b : a device used to maintain mechanically the correct positional relationship between a piece of work and the tool or between parts of work during assembly c : a device in which crushed ore is concentrated or coal is cleaned by agitating in water - in jig time : in a short time : QUICKLY
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com

<snip>
From http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary
Main Entry: (3)jig Function: noun Etymology: short for jigaboo black person Date: 1927

BWAHAHAHAHA I guess those "English as a second language" classes aren't working out for you huh?.