Should I buy it?

I've been scouring the classified for the last month for a jointer. I've run into 2 unisaws for sale. I don't know anything about the first one except that is was 4HP (typo or did they make one?). It was listed for $350 and had sold by the time I called.
Another ad today has a 3 year unisaw with a 52 Biesermeyer fence and outfeed table for $600. I'm looking at it tomorrow.
Sounds like an easy decision, but I just bought a Jet JTAS-10 cabinet saw (good condition but need to replace the HDPE pads on the fence) and a 2HP Jet dust collector at an estate sale for $600. I missed out on the jointer at that sale.
How do I explain to the wife that I need a third saw?
Tom
One for crosscutting, one for ripping, & one for dados?
Art
"rtl" wrote in message ...

rtl wrote:

I'd go for it and have Ralph change it over to direct drive.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

rtl wrote:

Tell her you need the third saw body to mount and test how your 392 Chrysler hemi performs in various woods with different blades! :-)
On 28 Feb 2004 11:37:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rtl) wrote:

Tell her it's transitional. Bigger, better, badder saw than the Jet, so you'll sell the Jet later.
That's how I have both a DJ15 and DJ20 as well as both a 22-540 planer and DC380 sitting in the shop.
Hint: the smaller of each is for sale...
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
For what it's worth, I just bought a 3hp right tilt unisaw, 1992, plus an extension table for $900. It included about $300 in blades. It has the delta unifence.
So your $600 deal looks about right, unless I got snookered.....
BTW, I don't think they ever made a 4 HP unisaw: only 3 or 5.
Don't know how to explain 3 swas... I have two and get made fun of often. I keep dado blades on one and other blades on the other.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rtl) wrote in message

emptyshell responds;

Got a friend who has 3 in his shop, 1 in my Bedford shop, plus 1 of mine in his shop. Why explain? It just confuses people.
His wife only goes in the shop to ask what he wants to eat. She wouldn't really know if he had 6 of everything or what any of it does.
Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
I don't quite understand how your wives could get fooled into believing all of these hideous stories form all these posts. Are they all blonde?

Wilson asks:

Only when they're not gray.
Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
Mine is. Well her hair is at least. The rest of her is Caucasian.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
On 28 Feb 2004 11:37:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rtl) wrote:

Yes. Definitely.
BTW - what is it ?
She is a Woman just tell her how much money you are saving! Puff Sorry Ladies I just had to say it.

I'd explain it as "a no risk investment opportunity" as you should be able to sell them for at least what you paid for them in the future. It's not what you pay for something it's what it costs you and these will cost you nothing over time. ;-)
John
On 28 Feb 2004 11:37:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rtl) wrote:

$600 is an awfully good price for a 3 year old unisaw with a Biese 52, I would have expected more like $900 or so. Be aware that Delta (like Jet) made (perhaps still makes) a lighter "cabinet" saw that only looks like a cabinet saw from the outside. Delta calls theirs a "tilting arbor saw" rather a Unisaw, but some people don't know the difference and assume that it's a Unisaw because it looks like one. But inside, it's a contractor saw, with the trunnion hung from the saw top, and a 2 HP motor. HD used to sell this saw. I have heard more than one person talking about what a great price HD had on "those Unisaws".
So, if it's really a 3 year old Unisaw for $600 and it's in perfect condition, geez, it'd almost be worth buying it just to try to make a profit reselling it. Then again, you wouldn't make a ton doing that for all of the effort of lugging it around and putting it up for sale.