Shop rags

Page 1 of 2
My once fertile source of shop rags seems to be drying up. The local thrift shop was once a source of used, white, all cotton tees at 5 shirts for a buck. Lately these have been fewer and farther between. I use a lot of shop rags since my finishing is mostly wipe on. So what do you guys use for shop rags and where do you get them?
ROY!

I have dozens of industrial rags that I launder from time to time. I don't use these with finishes or oil--for that I use worn out T-shirts, socks, or any worn out cloth or paper towels. I get enough spent cloth from a 2-person family. Lots of old clothing at garage sales for less $ than buying rags at the BORG.

I use the 5# bag/box of bleached cotton remnants typically sold at Rockler and Woodcraft. Typically under $20.

ROY! wrote:

For about $12 at Sam's I can get either 100 standard shop towels, or 50 terrycloth bar towels. Both types can be laundered depending on what you use them for. For staining and wipe-on poly, I just reuse one till there are no clean spots left, then throw it away.
Also, Lowe's carries a small bundle of tee-shirt type rags for about $5. Kind of expensive, but I keep some on hand for when I want the smoother, thinner material.
Roy, Check some of the local paint stores. They often have large sacks of rags for a reasonable price.
Roger
So what

I got a box of squares of t-shirt material from the BORG. They're just right for finishing, and a box lasts me quite a while.
DonkeyHody "We can't all be heros because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

http://www.mcmaster.com /
Do a search for: Cloth Rags
Scroll down to a selection of rags. You want low-lint rags. Lint fibers embedded in a finish will make one cry.
Also, EBay on occasions has unused cut up tee shirts for sale.
There use to be a 100% cotton muslin low lint rag around called 'washed sugar sack' or just plain sugar sack. One time use cotton cloth, a bit lighter than a cotton Tee, was really used as a cloth sack for shipping sugar in. After use, got washed and sold as rags. You may see on EBay also.
Some places they call sugar sack rags, flour sack rags. Google.
Phil

These are a little pricey, but work well for whatever I can't use paper towels for.. http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&pI422&cat=2,42194,40727
I'm cheap and cut my paper towel rolls in half, or in thirds for turning.. Seems like I was always folding a paper towel several times to get it smaller..
I also use these and like them a lot: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberF163
I notice that they're red in this picture, they're usually yellow..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:14:09 -0800, mac davis

I've bought some of these and they actually work pretty well. They used to be yellow, they've actually been red for a couple years now, at least around here.

times as much as a quarter a set, Tear them into right sizes and bingo shop rags.

I have two sources.
My local St Vinnies still sells big bags of old tshirts for five bucks, but I have to sift through them looking for bags that are mostly white. If they ever stop selling, I'd go to garage sales.
For a lot of finishes, I took a finishing class at Woodcraft and came away with a few tips: General Finishes SealACell and ArmrSeal, and Viva paper towels. I didn't believe it at first but Viva is lint free and sturdy, and does a great job applying both of those. That's what I use for most of my finishes. The cloth shop rags are mostly for jobs where they can be washed.
ROY! wrote:

too dirty and stiff to even clean oil off router bits, then toss them. Oh and I do dry them first.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Honey, have you seen that new set of sheets I bought? Uh.....wha?
"ROY!" wrote:
> My once fertile source of shop rags seems to be drying up.
Do a Google for "shop+rags+cotton"
Should keep you busy for a while<G>.
Lew
Try Goodwill. They get a lot of clothing that is in very bad shape so they rag them out. Get your wipers and help a worthy organization.

Roger amd Missy Behnke wrote:

It may be a local thing but I understand Goodwill in my area now sells all donated clothing not fit for immediate sale to textile recyclers (about 90% of the clothing they receive).
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
ROY! wrote:

My old shirts and other old clothing. For finishing jobs, a box of rags from Woodworker's Supply lasts quite a while.

Make sure all the buttons are off..lol I use old t-shirts for big messes, but for things like polishing on the lathe it just isn't worth the effort of removing the seams and stuff..
Paper towels are my friend..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Yep

Wife is a quilter. Those rolling Olfa cutters make quick work of seams and making rags of old clothing.