Shop color choices ..

Page 1 of 2
Anybody got ideas/recommendations about preferable color schemes for a shop ?? What I was wondering is : since I will be using primarily fluorescent lighting, would it be wise to offset the blue-white color by painting ceilings and/or upper walls some light shades of yellow or tan to "warm" them up a bit ??
<<<__ Bob __>>>

White. All white. You want it as bright as possible.
Gloss or semi-gloss white. There are no other choices! Greg
Greg O wrote:

Eggshell or satin reflect just as much light with less glare and are still washable.
But I agree on the white or at least darn close to it.
And he would be better off to get wide spectrum bulbs instead of trying to get warm light out of cool bulbs by changing paint color. If the bulbs are making most of their light in the cool part of the spectrum, eliminating whiteness in favor of a warm color will make things a lot less bright.

I just painted my shop, used semi-gloss white. No problems with glare. 24 x 38 foot shop, 24 two foot flouresant fixtures, 5 or so 100 watt incandesants. Greg
what ever floats your boat, Bobby! YOU are the one that will be living with it. What if you got 10 responses that said to paint it pink? Would you take those suggestions to heart?
For once I agree with the Fountain of Knowledge; paint it white (sorry, Mick)
dave
<<<___ Bob ___>>> wrote:

gestions to heart?

Gee, Davie, maybe we should get a room?
I wouldn't want to come between you and the Plan Man.
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

Sorry Dave .. .. I was just asking for input .. .. not a mandate !! !! !!
Actually, my first instinct WAS to paint it white, but considering the use of fluorescent lighting, I thought it might make the color of projects appear too COOL .. .. hence the request for input regarding using a color that might impart some warmth .. .. .. pink is definitely out, but thanx for your response .. .. ..
Bay Area Dave wrote:

<<<__ Bob __>>>
Bob, I'm just funning with you, man. I was being good-naturedly facetious. Did you not notice that I said go with white?
dave
<<<___ Bob ___>>> wrote:

Paint it mighty white......................Flat !

PINK, HMMMMMMM

Hey, George, he *is* from the Bay Area, ya know...

I should be the last person to talk about colors, but I painted my basement shop white and added a stripe (blue was my choice) to break it up and add interest. I still would like to eventually do something to the low ceiling. I can't decide how or what!
ToolMiser wrote:

Get your priorities right. Demolish the living room so you can have a cathedral ceiling in the basement shop. :)
I use only white paint, but I'm sure Martha Stewart would not approve.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:08:17 GMT, "<<<___ Bob ___>>>"

<<___ Bob ___ wrote:

Like everybody said, white. I have cheapss flourescents with cheapass GE bulbs. No cool white warm spectrum extra purple low UV expensive stuff. Whatever color difference there is between the shop and the real world has never been a problem.
Any color you paint other than white will reduce the level of brightness in the room considerably. I didn't realize how true this was until I repainted my living room. Used to be eggshell matte white, which wasn't all that bright to start with. Replaced with glossy pale sky blue. I used to keep the room quite bright (daylight bright) with one 300W halogen floor lamp. Now with that and a triple 100W incandescent fixture the brightness level in the room is maybe 50% of what it used to be with only 300W of light. My lighting costs have gone way up in there.
White, white, white.
[...]

Not nearly daylight bright, it just seems that way compared to the 'corpse candles' usually found.

3 lamps with 100W are less bright than one with 300W, because the efficiency of a halogen lamp increases with power.
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Re-reading my post, it wasn't as crisply clear as it might have been. I mean the original 300W halogen, *plus* another three 100W incandescent bulbs. I'm burning 600W for half the light. Even if we allow that the indandescent fixture is only half as efficient as the halogen, I'm still putting the equivalent of 450W of halogen light into a room that used to be quite bright with only one lamp at 80% of full brightness.
Wall color makes a *big* difference. Or perhaps in this case the ceiling color is a bigger factor. Either way.
<<<___ Bob ___>>> wrote:

2 coats of white primer, 2 coats of pure white gloss or semi gloss. You want it bright to reduce shadows. A hard surface makes it easier to clean.
All whites are not created equal, some whites have a tint.
Trying to 'offset' the color of the lighting with paint is fruitless, it will just get you a more incorrect color. Your minds eye will do all the color correction you need.
If your trying to make it a more pleasant place to work, leave that to your tools.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio