Sharpening planer blades--help

I'm looking for a way to resharpen my planer blades, and other flat tools, (and drill bits).
Once upon a time, a stone water wheel (electrically powered)was available, but I don't see many around any more, they turned at slow RPM. I always thought that slow and cool was better, when sharpening steel. I found this tool ,http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?&NETID2248180314081804725&NTITEM ฒ337, but the RPM is way up at 3450, wouldn't that cause high heat on the planer blade. Also does anyone have any experiance with a tool like this, what's the accuracy of home grinders? I've seen yet others that use a vented steel wheel with sand paper, and yet others with a glass wheel and sand paper. Should I just keep buying new blades, or just send then out for refinishing, (have done both). Opinions please. Thanks, Ray
Add pictures here
โœ–
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Categoryd2
I have the Makita which works pretty good. It is just for blades, not bits.

Add pictures here
โœ–

Me too. Has to be the best blade holder I've used. Not cheap, but relatively easy, accurate, and with the price per inch commercially and my rate of work, paid in full years ago.
Prior to that I used a jig for the drillpress involving a wooden block as a holder and a cone grindstone. If you can search the FWW index for maybe 20 years ago, it's in there.
Add pictures here
โœ–

It would depend on the number of times per month you're sharpening the blades. If you're a hobbist, buying an extra set and sharpening them as needed it probably the most cost effective. If you're a commerical outfit, you may want to sharpen your own and for your convenience.
Otoe
Add pictures here
โœ–

I have a 12 ฝ Delta planer. It uses drop in blades that do not need adjustment. I wonder if these blades can be resharpen? Most of the damages were done by hidden nails or metal pieces. TIA
Add pictures here
โœ–

I have sharpened blades off of a Delta suitcase planer. A planer that does not weigh a 100 pounds. Yes those have disposable blades. If the knicks are minor maybe. There is not a lot of metal to work with on the disposable blades though. I just had to hone up worn blades, not knicked blades. On my Makita planer the blades are much thicker. I can get knicks out but it takes some time.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Never thought of that. My jointer has adjustable blades but I also have the Dewalt Thickness planer, and I think those blades are drop in as well. I'm using these tools for hobby use, and nails are a problem too.
Seems like water wheels are still around, and SLOW rpm is desired. Ray
Add pictures here
โœ–

You mean like these? http://www.tormek.com /

Could...
The Tormek seems plenty accurate enough for me.

I resharpen my planer blades on the Tormek -- works great.
--
Regards,
โœ–