sharpening lawn mower blades

I apologize if this has been brought up before, but its new to me. My neighbor just discovered that you can do a great job of sharpening lawn mower blades with those cheap hand held knife sharpeners...the ones that wrap around your hand and you draw your knife through it. They cost around 5:00 bucks, but they do a great job on the blades

Reply to
news

To each his own, but a "great job", I doubt. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

My thought exactly. But then I saw a guy checking out of the garden center at a KMart last week - with a new blade - he had the old one with him to match up. The old one had never been sharpened and wasn't really all that dull. Plus he paid a lot ($15) for the new blade. I had just bought 3 JD blades for a mower deck for $20 with a coupon off their website.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I doubt too. I have a jig for my bench grinder that works well. I just put new blades on everything though and should be set for life now.

Reply to
Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?

Bob F wrote: [....]

the typical price for blade sharpening holding around 5 dollars a blade and with my deck array of 3 blades I knew I was going to develop a means of doing the task myself.

this setup I can sharpen the set in under 15 minutes, including removal and reinstallation. the cost savings has been nothing more than stellar.

invest in tools, they have this neat way of providing a financial return.

Reply to
Jim