Shameless Gloat -- MFA exhibit

Pictures are posted at abpw.
Why, yes, I've had a piece of my woodwork on display at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston this last week....
So, not quite an addition to the permanent collection, but SWMBO was asked to do a flower arrangement for the annual "Art in Bloom", where both professionals and representatives of local garden clubs are asked to do a floral interpretation of a painting or other object in the collection. She and a colleague did the arrangement I made the container to her design spec.
Many thousands of people turn out for the show and it's a lot of fun to hang back and listen to people's reactions. They did a great job with the flowers but the box helped it to stand out. The guides are all cued to the astonishing fact that someone's husband made the container and the general reaction is one of shocked disbelief (who do they think makes stuff, anyway?).
One of the ways to justify a *really* nice workshop is the ability to produce things like custom flower containers on demand.
The main box is quilted bigleaf maple, the tori arch is fiddleback eastern hard maple, and the base and accents are bloodwood. The box is mitered with biscuits and all the other joints are mortise and tenon. I used a loose tenon to join the arch to the box. The joints of course required purchase of a dedicated mortising machine and top of the arch was justification for a really sweet new spokeshave from L-N. ;-)
Roger

Sweeeeet! For both of you!
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Thanks! It was really a lot of fun to work on together. The first couple of versions were made with pink foam insulation hot glued together. Turns out to be a pretty good/fast/cheap way to look at shapes and proportions at full scale. (It would help to be color blind.)
Working to a deadline, something I don't normally do, also adds a bit of spice.
Roger

Working to a deadline, something my wife almost never does, also adds a bit of spice. I start preparing my taxes in early February...