Shaker and Mission?

Page 2 of 2

I'm no furniture critic but Shaker and Mission are very much different design styles and the differnece is rather dramatic. Just put a classic, taper-legged shaker end table next to a mission style end table and the styling difference will be obvious. Pictures are worth thousands of words here. I suggest checking google or dogpile image search on the 2 keywords and you'll get a good idea pretty quickly.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
"Stoutman" wrote...

Shaker is light and simple elegant typically cherry country furniture; from the same folks who gave us the song "Tis a gift to be simple tis a gift to be free, tis a gift to come down where we ought to be."
Mission is heavy usually quartersawn white oak, midwestern Arts & Farts response to the vulgar designs of the Victorian age.
Typical shaker chair might have clean turned legs, ladder back, cloth taped seat, a lady can carry it with one hand. Typical mission chair looks like it was built by a bricklayer, heavy fumed white oak stretchers and splats, requires two men and a boy to move it.
-- Timothy Juvenal www.tjwoodworking.com

I'm partial to the Shaker style of design myself. I like your description of the typical characteristics!
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

IMHO Shaker is a more simple looking design and tends to look lighter weight and the chairs tend to have a lot of spindles. Mission looks heavier, a little more complex visually, and typically built with Oak.

I would like to try something in the Greene and Greene style. I would not use an abundance of inlays though. It is a compromise between Mission (aka Craftsman, Stickley, and such) and Shaker. I'm not implying that there is Shaker influence in G&G. I find Craftsman style to be a little heavy for my taste, but I have a strong respect for the style and there are pieces I like. I tend to like the pieces done in cherry.

Chalk and cheese. The purposes are different, the philosophies are different, and there's a century between the manufacturing techniques.
Google knows the rest, as do books by Christian Becksvoort (Shaker) and Stickley himself or Bavaro & Mossman (Craftsman) or a few others for general Mission. best of all is Mayer & Gray's "In the Arts & Crafts Style", but that's hard to find.
Avoid books by Norm or Thomas Moser.