Senco or Porter Cable

Subject: Buying a Brad Nailer Date: May 8, 2005 20:09
I am trying to decide between two brad nailers. A Porter Cable BN200A and a Senco FP25XP.
I have the Porter Cable FN250. I chose it for the nail gun to give me the most choices of length for a single gun. Never had a problem in the years I've had it. Can't comment on Senco, never had an opportunity to use one.

Senco is superb.
Bob

Both would do the job for you. I have a Senco finish nailer that is top notch, and a PC coil and framing nailer which are also excellent tools.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Complete our tool survey, Win $200! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System - Digital Calipers & Height Gauge - Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated) - Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer - WoodHaven Biscuit Master - EZ Smart Guide System ------------------------------------------------------------
I have had the PC for a couple of weeks and am thinking of taking it back because it sometimes shoots blanks. JG
Upscale wrote:

Is there any obvious problem with the nail feeding mechanism? The nails aren't being fed constantly it would appear. Of course, you may just have a dud model, in which case, take it back for an exchange :)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Complete our tool survey, Win $200! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System - Digital Calipers & Height Gauge - Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated) - Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer - WoodHaven Biscuit Master - EZ Smart Guide System ------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Dean, I'll take a closer look at the feed mechanism. JG
Woodcrafter wrote:

For what its worth, wood magazine just did a review of these finish nailer in the last issue and the PC got the top nod. I have the PC and have been very happy with it. I was surprised by the review, because it said you could run it on its lowest PSI rating (90) and still drive the nails. This supposedly prolongs the life of the tool. The reason I was surprised was becasue I've never run mine above 80 PSI.
Good tool
Chuck

I don't think their brad nailers are as good as their finish nailers. The OP asked about brad nailer. I seem to recall threads about misfires with PC brad nailers in the past.
Bob
I have been using a $25 one from Harbor Freight. It works just fine.
Dick Durbin

I have both. They both work well BUT on brazilian cherry or similarly hard wood the p c doesn't set the nails. the senco does. running 90 psi and using 1 1/4" nails in each. YMMV..
skeez

Have you adjusted the PC for depth? It does need to be set depending on the wood you are using it with.
BillyB

BillyB

yeh ya got here!!! i fogot the thread temporarily... lol.. i have 2 different finish nailers with adjustable depth. the brad gun does not.
skeez

yep. it just doesn't have the guts of a senco.
skeez
Upscale wrote:

I don't think you will go far wrong with either brand. I own PC 18g brad and 16g finish nailers. I have used Senco framers. I also own Harbor Fright 18g brad and narrow crown staplers. Well worth the money for occasional use. (Don't ask why I have two brad nailers.)     mahalo,     jo4hn

i wont ask! i got 5 brad nailers. its great for using diferent length nails so long as you can remember which one has what!!! dont ask why! lol
skeez
Thanks for the replys all.
Bill