Horizontal Router

The latest catalog I received from MLCS has a new horizontal router table. I have been looking for a router table with the router under the table. Since seeing this catalog, I have been wondering what the pro and con's are for a horizontal table. Any comments would be appreciated. Also comparisions between the two from anyone who has used both.

P.H.

Reply to
P.H. Thorsted

What is MLCS, I have been thinking that a horizontal router table would make a nice poor man's slot morticer. Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave W

DAGS and you'll find them.....

Never Enough Money

The table I made has both. Horizontal mounting is via double layer of

3/4" particle board covered both sides with laminate. Board is sort of wedge shaped and has a through cut radius near the broad end; it is permanently afixed at the back of the table to a 4"x4" built up area of the horizontal table by a through bolt through the narrow end; vertical table pivots via that bolt and the radiused area and is locked in place by a bolt with knob through the radius cut out into the 4x4. When not in use, it drops down behind the primary table so that table is not obstructed.

I use the vertical table from time to time but not much. It is useful for milling the ends of boards that are too long to be held vertically. It can be used as a mini joiner too.

I'd never buy one.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

=================== Basically that is what I have been using my Horizontal router table for the last 10 or more years..... EXTTREMELY handy to have around the shop ...makes short work of almost mortises...

BUT it sure will not replace the traditional router table...

Mine was made from plans that were published in Woodsmith (who knows when however....lets just say at least 10 years ago...) Honestly it gets used quite a bit ...enough that I keep a router in it permanently....

Bob Griffiths.

Reply to
Bob G.

Thanks Bob, that is just the kind of info I was looking for. Think I will get the traditional router table now and think about the horizontal one later.

P.T.

Reply to
P.H. Thorsted

Sounds like something I could use as I've made many of those almost mortises. Then I'd make tenons that almost, but not quite, fit in them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

========================= LOL.....seems I left out the word "all"... Ment to say... makes short work of almost (ALL) mortices...

Yea Ed ....I've done MORE then my fair share of mortices .. that ALMOST fit... but I never called them "almost mortices" The term I use for them unfortunately is not nice to use so I will not spell it out....Hint.... it is a combination of 4 letter words .

Bob .

Reply to
Bob G.