Horizontal siding

Planning on putting up some horizontal (Hardie Plank) siding 2 days from now. I can set up my survey level and place a bunch of marks (probably nails) on a level line upon the wall. BUT, what's the easiest way to nail on the planks in a 'one man' operation? Make a bunch of 'helper-sticks' to temporarily support one end? Use string to support one end? BTW, the planks are 12 feet long and the wall is 32 feet long and 8 feet high.

Last time I did this I had a helper and I made a tool with an 8" notch. Pushed the plank up with the tool until the 8" notch caught on the preinstalled board below. Went fast. After every 3-4 rows we measured down from a level line to make sure the pattern wasn't growing on us.

Anyway, I know how to place and nail them, I just need advice on how to best handle this as a one man operation.

Thanks for all comments.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Look here

Pat

try here

Pat

One trick to help keep the reveal uniform -- buy an inexpensive plastic try square and cut one side to the exact length of the reveal. Then you can quickly make sure that you're keeping it the same.

Reply to
The Streets

How 'bout taking a thin 1x12 metal strip. Bend one end to form a "hook" at 90 degrees. Tack the strip to a stud or better yet attach using drywall screw at end opposite you. Just like having your mate help you but without the incessant chatter.

Could also do 3 strips and tack them along your chalk line.

Reply to
franz frippl

I used a siding nail on the line I wanted the next piece of sidings bottom edge to be and put it in 1/4" and rested the far end of siding on that then worked on the other end and I was done in no time. The holes from the temp nail either fill with caulk before you paint or just paint them closed. It concrete so it isn't going to cause a rot spot.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Put a nail in the middle first?

Reply to
HeyBub

Use these. They are inexpensive and allow you to blind nail the siding. I used them on my garage, and they worked well.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake