Semi OT paint brushes - types and uses

I've been doing some reapir work and such around the house. Some of the work involves painting and staining. Now there are brushes made of different materials- natural bristle, horse, nylon, etc ... What I would like to know is what material (brush material) is suitable for what type of application. For example, if I am painting with acrylic latex would nylon or natural brislte be preferred? I know I can go and look at some brushes and see that they are labled - for latex, for oil-based paints and such but can anyone offer some of the reasoning behind why some are preferred over others? cleanup? ease of use? Thanks,

Reply to
Kevin

Bob Bowles

Obviously, the differnt types of paint have different characteristics.

The different types of brush material are used because different brush materials "work better" with different types of paint. An oil-based paint, for example, may just 'run right off' a brush material that works well for latex paint. Or vice versa.

Also, the solvent/carrier for some kinds of paint may damage the material used for some types of brushes.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

"Robert Bonomi" > >

Wrong. A natural hair brush will become limp with water based paints, just like your hair does when you wash it. Natural hair brushes for oil based products only. Nylon, polyester, or synthetic brushes for any paint.

used for some types of brushes.

Basically Wrong again providing you use the correct brush to start with. Natural hair brushes should be cleaned with thinner, mineral spirits or a oil based cleaner. Nylon, polyester or synthetic brushes can be cleaned with soap and water for water based products and thinner, mineral spirits, and or oil based cleaners for oil based products.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, I do this for a living..

Early attempts are not what the original poster is asking about. He wants to know about current standards so that he can buy a modern day brush. As for holding oil based paint, it helps greatly if you prime the brush with a solvent such as thinner and wipe off the excess so that the brush will accept a greater quantity of paint with each dip. This also helps the paint to flow off the brush and makes cleaning the brush easier after a day of painting.

Reply to
Leon

I guess you don't get it Robert. The original poster wants information on the paints and stains for a house, period. And, you have not specifically answered one question other than mentioning that some type brushes work better than others with different paints. I believe that the original poster is aware of that fundimental fact as he asked which brush to use with which type paints or stains, which you have not yet answered.

HUH? Mind reader, I think not. ;~) He specifically asked, "What I would like to know is what material (brush material) is suitable for what type of application." I was quite clear as to why to use one brush over another with specific products concerning water and oil based products that are used around the house.

Just like anything else, there are products that some people prefer over others. Natural hair brushes work well with oil based paints and absolutely do not work with water based products. Who said anything about price comparison?

Reply to
Leon