Harbor Freight/Central Machinery 46725 table comments

Just a heads up about this item:

In a circular I received last week, Harbor Freight advertised this neat little tool table for about $15 (50% off). I picked one up to use with my scroll saw.

This is a case of "you get what you pay for, sorta." The table was a pain in the posterior to assemble. Took me over an hour. Perhaps it was my klutziness, or maybe I was missing a trick to the assembly, but the way the table is made, with the tolerances as they are, requires a bit of elbow grease (and a good clamp or two) to assemble. It was frustrating at times. That's the bad news

The good news is, once assembled, it is incredibly strong (rated to hold up to

1000lbs.), and has a couple of handy shelves as well as magnetic strips for holding tools.

If you happen to be shopping for one of these, and they have a display model in the store, it's a great value. Out of the box, it's only a fair value if you have some music you want to listen to for an hour while wrestling the table together.

Rich S.

Reply to
Rich Stern

Joe & 'Jel', A simple example of 'know your equipment and/or supplier'.

I get a good bit of stuff from Harbor Freight; a} YES - I KNOW it's from China. However it's at a price that is CHEAP . . . rather than the *same thing* {check the fine print on the label}from one of the well-known American names at 3x the price.

b} YES - the finish will be sloppy, the holes will have burrs, & I may have to do the 'final assembly'

c} YES - the instructions will be most likely 'computer translated' and some what generic {see 'a' above}

d} YES - it WILL do the job I expect, and at the level of accuracy I expect - i.e. I don't buy 'Precision Digital Calipers' but 'Wood Carpenter's Clamps @ 2.99' or 'Sliding Clamps' @ 1.99'

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Reply to
Ron Magen

Just had to reply,! That's what I love about Harbor Freight, you just never know what part will be missing! Had my fingers crossed though last month when my $89 2hp4gal comp arrived. Luckily it was OK but there was a white warning tag with red letters attached to the cord , something to the effect of making sure the oil was filled properly and what would happen if it were not, but the translation had me laughing out loud. Now the nailer (18ga

Reply to
triad

You never know with HF. The best suprise I ever got was the right angle drill SWMBO bought me for Father's day. It's a Chinese knockoff of a Hole Hawg. The thing is a beast and pretty much satisfies my requirements for such a drill. If it survives our current remodeling project I'll just tuck it away for those special times when nothing else but a three or four inch hole bored through a floor joist will do. I just used it to make a wire chase through a couple of closets and it simply devoured everything in it's path. Precision isn't in this drill's vocabulary.

Jim

Reply to
Jeepnstein