Seeking vise advise:)

I have been looking at a lot of front bench vises for the European Style Workbench that I am trying to build (I'm very new to woodworking). I suppose that I don't know enough to make up my mind. I would appreciate any and all recommendations. Thanks

Reply to
Brickie

Since you don't have a specific question, I can only give you a pointer to a resource.

"The Workbench Book" by Landis. I think it's less than $20 at Amazon. It covers wokbench design from Euopean to Japanise ... It even has a chapter on the workmate (Love it or hate it, it is a unique an ubiquitous in the modern landscape of "benches")

Vises are covered in depth.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Vises are very specialized to the type of work being produced, carvers, patternmakers, machinists, cabinetmakers are some of the basic types of specialty vises you will find. My bench is a traditional Scandinavian style with both tail and swivel shoulder vises which are adequate for my hand tool/ power machine style of work, not high power vises but I like certain aspects of the versitility they offer.

Most folks are satisfied with a common front vise and a double screw veritas in place of a tail vise. I recommend a front vise that has a fast action feature.

The ultimate in functional front vises would be a patternmakers vise like an Emmert but they are very pricey and a bit hard to find, there are reproductions of somewhat lesser quality at maybe half the price that I hear good things about.

In the end it will come down to the types of things you build and the techniques you use in terms how much or little you employ hand tools into your work.

David

Reply to
Bannerstone