scroll saws

I am thinking of buying a scroll saw for intermittent work. Looking over amazon and the reviews the low end Deltas do not get good reviews -- the best seems to be the Dewalts but at almost $400 that might be a budget buster.

On the other hand Grizzly has two (the G0537 for $120, and the G0536 for $90) but there are no reviews or feedback. Anybody have or have ever used either of the two Grizzly models ? Are they decent performers ?

Cheers

Reply to
Sam the Cat

Sam, I used to do a bunch of scrollsawing and all I had was a 16" Delta variable speed saw. I paid around $150 for it and did oodles of small to large projects with it. For a budget, this is a great saw and will do almost anything you want, but will bog down and flex some on thicker stock, like 1.5-2". I tried the DeWalt and it is a phenomenal saw, strong on thick stock and very little vibration, no doubt a joy to use. But I agree the $400 is tough to stomach. I would love to have one, but am happy with what the Delta has done for me. I have only had a few occasions where I wanted the bigger throat capacity. If you have money to spend and want to do a ton of work on it, get the DeWalt and be very very happy. If not, get the Delta and still be very happy. I looked at the Grizz scrollsaws and they don't look too good. I love some Grizz tools, but those look too much like the cheap junk I see at Menards.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I'm wondering if your Delta was the same one Sam was referencing. Lowe's sells a bunch of $99 junk tools with Delta name on it. Its a shame to see a once-heralded quality name prosititute itself like that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have the equivalent of the G0537 (same saw, different label). I'd suggest saving your money for the DeWalt.

Nova

I have the DeWalt and it is well worth the money. I've used a craftsmen(15-20 yrs. ago) which was ok for most things and I also have a Powermatic that I use on occasion, but the DW is hands down the best for the money.

Reply to
ROCKHEAD

Reply to
gsl