Scrol lsaw Help?

I have a friend that is having difficulty making straight cuts in oak with his scroll saw. He is looking for reading material, tips or suggestions. Thanks, Jerry

Reply to
Jerald Houk

Straight cuts with scroll saw is actually advanced skill level. Blades have drift angle like band saw caused by teeth set, but scroll saw drift angle changes as teeth become dull. Scroll saw teeth are small, and small gullets, blades dull quickly.

Blade tension, skill level, and type and maker of blades also impact straight cuts.

This Newsgroup mostly for Mainstream woodworkers. Suggest your friend to read, or lurk, over at scroll saw forum:

good beginner scroll saw books by sponsor of site, Fox Chapel. Visit site for recommendations.

Scroll saw is an eye-hand co-ordination type of thing. That means skill, that means learning curve and practice. Don't take long to learn, and it ain't hard to learn. But you must lean by practice. Therefor expect your first few tries should be hidden in the trash can.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Again

Sun, Feb 17, 2008, 4:48pm (EST+5) notwantspam_@_1-2-3-4-5.nospam (Phil=A0Again) doth claimeth: Straight cuts with scroll saw is actually advanced skill level.

In that case I have been highly skilled from day one..

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

No reason why not, it don't take long to learn.

Care to share your tips to the OP and his friend?

Reply to
Phil Again

Mon, Feb 18, 2008, 1:28am (EST+5) notwantspam_@_1-2-3-4-5.nospam (Phil=A0Again) doth posteth: No reason why not, it don't take long to learn. Care to share your tips to the OP and his friend?

Not long to advance to advanced skill level you mean?

How about, draw a straight line and follow the line?

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Ah, good point. But, and this is just my opinion, the OP may have already tired that, and failed. Thus they are posting their question on this newsgroup.

The key is manual dexterity, and eye-hand coordination. Plus the individual manual dexterity learning curve, AKA speed of learning physical coordination skills. I cannot believe your manual dexterity and skill at tool use in general could be compared in any way with the newbie scroll sawyer. Of course your speed of becoming skilled at the scroll saw will be short, but does that translate to the newbie scroll sawyer? Do you expect everyone to have your raw talent in woodworking?

And I suspect, the starting point of the newbie scroll sawyer's learning about the tool and cutting hardwood may be a bit lower down the learning curve than yours. Further to climb to reach your starting point, as it were.

Let's give the newbie a chance, since the newbie may not have your raw talent, manual dexterity, or experience. But they sure can lean, struggle, and progress up the learning curve to where they can be proud of their accomplishments.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Again

And never use the blades that came with the scroll saw. I've found lots of info here

asmurff

Reply to
Phil Again

Mon, Feb 18, 2008, 4:34pm (EST+5) notwantspam_@_1-2-3-4-5.nospam (Phil=A0Again) doth sayeth: Ah, good point. But, and this is just my opinion, the OP may have already tired that, and failed. Thus they are posting their question on this newsgroup.

If it was tried, and didn't work, should have said. Don't you think? Wasn't said, so have to figure it wasn't tried. But that's just my opinion, because I can't read minds.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Thanks for the suggestions; I will give my friend a call and let him know. Jerald

Reply to
Jerald Houk