Screw/drill position

Hi All:
I'm new to woodworking after 61 years of living. My wife bought for me an 18.2-V Makita cordless drill, which I'm delighted to have.
My question (which isn't adequately addressed in the users manual): There are two settings -- one for drilling and one for screwing (be kind!). If I use the drill setting for screwing or the screw setting for drilling will I go to jail without passing "Go"? What's the difference between the two?
TIA.
Irwin
Irwin
Basically the SCREW setting is a lower RPM than the DRILL setting. You can use EITHER setting with Screws or Drillbits, but you will likley find that the higher speed does better for drilling, and the lower speed is more controllable when driving screws
John
On 05 Jun 2004 19:59:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Irwin Schwartz) wrote:

But if you happen to be drilling in metal the slow speed is often better. The high speed is good for drilling in wood.
Dick

No, the screw setting engages the clutch and has no effect on the speed. The speed setting switch changes the overall RPM's
ya do like john says. the switch simply changes the gearing inside so basically you got low gear and high gear.
or just do like me and leave it in high gear. who needs a slow speed <g>
randy

are
the
jail
The lower speed will give you more torque when driving screws, and the higher speed will give you faster drilling with twist bits.
Kevin
--
=====

"Irwin Schwartz" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
(The people who don't own the Makita M-Force drills may not realize this but... he may be talking about a switch that locks out the clutch!)
Is the drill an M-force model? It will have two black switches on the top: http://makita.com/Cordless_Image_View.asp?id &5
The first one (the "Shift-Lock drive" switch), if moved to the "drill" setting, locks the clutch. The "screw" setting allows you to set variable fastening torque via the large collar with numbers 1-16 on it.
The switch behind the shift-lock sets low speed, high torque (labeled "1") or high speed low torque (labeled "2"). You typically use "1" for screwdriving and "2" for drilling.
Tell us the model number of the drill...
Irwin Schwartz wrote:

If this works like the DeWalt the clutch is activated in the screw setting, allowing you to control screw depth. Just use the drill setting for drilling & the screw setting for driving screws & remenber that a higher clutch setting will drive the screws deeper.
HTH Big John
There is a thin line between hobby & mental illness.
Take out the TRASH for E-mail.
<< The people who don't own the Makita M-Force drills may not realize this but... he may be talking about a switch that locks out the clutch!) Is the drill an M-force model? >>
Thank you all for your responses. The answer to Daniel's question above is, I think not. The model number of my drill is 6347DWDE.
Again, I appreciate everybody's input. I now know that "SCREW" is for screws and "DRILL" is for drill bits (makes me think that I didn't even have to ask!).
Thanks again, folks.
Irwin
Regards, Irwin http://members.aol.com/midimusic
Irwin Schwartz wrote:

Actually, the 6347DWDE is the 18v Makita M-Force drill. http://www.makita.com/Cordless_Item_View.asp?id &7 http://www.makita.com/html/mforce_power.asp http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb-topten2003.html
<< Actually, the 6347DWDE is the 18v Makita M-Force drill. >>
Thank you, Daniel. You're right.
Irwin
Irwin, I tried to reply to the snipped-for-privacy@aol.com with the pics (showing dimensions) of the cradle. I get an error message "mail relay not allowed etc..."
bob g.
Irwin Schwartz wrote:

If you use the drill setting to drive a screw you may break the screw or drive it too far into the wood. If you use the screw setting to drill you may lock or jam the bit in the wood as the clutch may slip. Basically, the screw setting engages the adjustable clutch. Adjustable clutch settings help prevent breaking screws or driving screws too far.

are
the
jail